Hey Winnipeg Jets, it's about time you take the next step

JCon

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hey-winnipeg-jets-time-take-next-step/

Interesting article that raises some of the concerns and opinions that are shared on this board.

Before this season started, I would have been happy to see this team progress and make some serious in-year strides. Now, I think this team can and should make the playoffs. It won't be easy and they're not a playoff team yet, but I think they should be given what we've seen.

When the mainstream media says ho hum another underachieving Jets team....

I say ho hum, another outlet (hello, Rogers) that watches maybe 5 of our games every season. 

The article ended with the key for 2016, IMO. Goaltending.  Helle's getting his chance now finally - much to the delight of fellow fans like myself who grew tired of Pavelec's  "I'm not good now, and not getting any better either".   Now it's up to him. Take the reins and own the job. Worth noting, in his last 10 starts he's had  8 games at .920 sv% or above and only 2 below.   I think Maurice and the staff's decision to run him as much as they are is easily one of the better coaching decisions since 2011.

Expectations? Yeah, I got 'em.  Frankly, I think when healthy, we're a consistent tender away from a playoff berth.  This year may be tough, we're in the hole now - behind in PTS and ahead in GP. Not a recipe for success.  But I just can't be sour on this team....way to many good things coming down the pipleine.  

...I still dream of potential line combos come next year or the year after. We've already got some elite talent. Just add a Roslovic here and a Lemieux there - and we're scary good.  Need one more solid D to compliment the group, eventually.

Injuries really hurt them. It probably is a developmental year but I think if they were healthy all year... playoffs would be possible.  They aren't out of it tho.... not by a long shot yet regardless of what Lawless says. 

Just win the games against the central teams and they do have a winning record vs tge central and anything can happen. 

LA is the last WC team and are on pcae for 89.13 points. Theoretically, 90 points and you're in.

The Jets have 24 points so they need 64 points in the 57 games they have left.  They need to win 32 games (or a combo of wins and one point losses) to make the playoffs at 90 points. They are currently on a pace for 79 points.

They are steadily getting their vets back while their youngsters are mainly playing very well...Laine, Morrissey, Dano, Copp, Armia before injury, and I think Petan have all showed very well. Connor, not so much but I would like to see him with Wheeler and Little for a couple of games.

I hate to say it but it would surprise me if they make the playoffs. They might have stood a chance before the injuries but we lost a lot of points during this time regardless of how well the team has played. I am more interested in developing the players this year and if everything more or less goes as it is going, we will be in the playoffs next year.

Edited by Ducky

The 5 losses in a row all but sunk them this season.  It's crazy how 5 of 82 games can make all the difference, but it does.

Given we're a lot healthier now, and Trouba's back - which is so underrated around these parts IMO - I think we're more likely to see some 4 or 5 game W streaks as oppose to losing streaks.  But we'll have to wait until they prove it obvs.

Using Ducky's math above, a 29-20-8 type finish may get us in.  That doesn't seem overly far-fetched.  29 / 57 is barely over .500 - just need a lot of loser points!

On 12/1/2016 at 4:53 PM, Jimmy Pop said:

The 5 losses in a row all but sunk them this season.  It's crazy how 5 of 82 games can make all the difference, but it does.

Given we're a lot healthier now, and Trouba's back - which is so underrated around these parts IMO - I think we're more likely to see some 4 or 5 game W streaks as oppose to losing streaks.  But we'll have to wait until they prove it obvs.

Using Ducky's math above, a 29-20-8 type finish may get us in.  That doesn't seem overly far-fetched.  29 / 57 is barely over .500 - just need a lot of loser points!

On Wednesday (not sure about today) 2nd place and 11th place were separated by 5 points.  Over 2/3's of the season left.  At this point the standings resemble a crab race in Jamaica.  Don't make too many predictions and enjoy some rum.