Your Top Three Predictions

Ducky

Which three players in the system (not regular Jets's starters but you can include Lipon, Hali and Kosmo) do you think have the best chance of starting with the Jets next fall.

Mine are Connor, Morrissey and Lemieux.

You don't do what Connor is doing and not start for the big team the next season. Scoring at a pace of 1.794 ppg as a freshman is almost unheard of. Eichel had a 1.775 ppg in the NCAA but was a year younger. If he isn't playing for the Jets next fall, he must really value education.

I think Morrissey will start because by most things I read about him, he has really changed his game from the start of the season and is playing well despite being paired with some anchors (sound familiar?). I am okay with him going back if he isn't ready but I think we see him before the end of the year again. That and TC will decide but I see him making the team.

Most think Lemieux is NHL ready. He is big enough to take the grind and the Jets have lost some size with Bogo, Kaner and Ladd not here any more. The size will help and Maurice talked glowingly about him last year. I think he starts with Copper on the 4th line next year. I also think it will help out Copper's O game to play with Lemieux. If Lemieux can play RW, Lowry - Copp - Lemieux would be an interesting 4th line.

Lipon, Comrie, Petan and Kosmo will make it hard on the coaches to decide.

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

Which three players in the system (not regular Jets's starters but you can include Lipon, Hali and Kosmo) do you think have the best chance of starting with the Jets next fall.

Mine are Connor, Morrissey and Lemieux.

You don't do what Connor is doing and not start for the big team the next season. Scoring at a pace of 1.794 ppg as a freshman is almost unheard of. Eichel had a 1.775 ppg in the NCAA but was a year younger. If he isn't playing for the Jets next fall, he must really value education.

I think Morrissey will start because by most things I read about him, he has really changed his game from the start of the season and is playing well despite being paired with some anchors (sound familiar?). I am okay with him going back if he isn't ready but I think we see him before the end of the year again. That and TC will decide but I see him making the team.

Most think Lemieux is NHL ready. He is big enough to take the grind and the Jets have lost some size with Bogo, Kaner and Ladd not here any more. The size will help and Maurice talked glowingly about him last year. I think he starts with Copper on the 4th line next year. I also think it will help out Copper's O game to play with Lemieux. If Lemieux can play RW, Lowry - Copp - Lemieux would be an interesting 4th line.

Lipon, Comrie, Petan and Kosmo will make it hard on the coaches to decide.

lowry, copp Lemieux?  Isn't Lowry a center?  Why would he play LW on the fourth line?  seems like a waste.  Now, Tkachuk, Copp, Lemieux sounds like a really interesting third line.

Doesn't make sense to move Lowry to the 4th line if you're worried about the Jets losing size...

Thorbs will be on fourth line - still one year on his contract then Lemieux will replace him.

What will really make things interesting is if this year's pick is deemed NHL ready - which the top three (maybe four if you include Tkachuk...) seem to be.

ESW

Connor-Little-Armia

Perrault-Lowry-Laine

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Doesn't make sense to move Lowry to the 4th line if you're worried about the Jets losing size...

Thorbs will be on fourth line - still one year on his contract then Lemieux will replace him.

What will really make things interesting is if this year's pick is deemed NHL ready - which the top three (maybe four if you include Tkachuk...) seem to be.

ESW

Connor-Little-Armia

Perrault-Lowry-Laine

Where is Staf and Dano? 4th line with Copp? Burmi?

How about...

E-S-W

Connor-Little-Armia

Staf -Perrault-Dano

Lowry -Copp- Lemieux/Burmi/Thorbs

I'm just saying its entirely possible that our 1st draft pick makes the team next year... at least to start the season.

No sense playing a guy like Laine on the fourth line...  unless Dano shows something soon, not sure what place there is for him in the top six, maybe nine.

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

I'm just saying its entirely possible that our 1st draft pick makes the team next year... at least to start the season.

No sense playing a guy like Laine on the fourth line...  unless Dano shows something soon, not sure what place there is for him in the top six, maybe nine.

Possible, sure. Likely?  Outside of Matthews and the Finns - I don't see any 2016 draftees making our lineup day 1.

Unfortunately, chances of us picking in top 3 will likely be well below 50%.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Possible, sure. Likely?  Outside of Matthews and the Finns - I don't see any 2016 draftees making our lineup day 1.

Which is why I said exactly that in my original post.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I know nothing about the Finns but I now am seeing a lot of interest in Matthews.  Since he seems to have already turned pro somehow he should be ready to make the jump next year, especially if a team like Winnipeg with a strong need for a center picks him.  Other than Matthews, I don't know enough about the other guys (other than Tkachuk who apparently we don't need as he scores too much, but only because of everyone else he plays with) to make an assessment.  So right now I'd say the only players to make the jump next year would be Connor, and maybe Morrissey. 

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I know nothing about the Finns but I now am seeing a lot of interest in Matthews.  Since he seems to have already turned pro somehow he should be ready to make the jump next year, especially if a team like Winnipeg with a strong need for a center picks him.  Other than Matthews, I don't know enough about the other guys (other than Tkachuk who apparently we don't need as he scores too much, but only because of everyone else he plays with) to make an assessment.  So right now I'd say the only players to make the jump next year would be Connor, and maybe Morrissey. 

He only looked good because he played with this dude named Roslovic.

https://www.nhl.com/news/matthew-tkachuks-game-reminding-many-of-nhl-dad/c-783155

Danton Cole, who serves as an associate coach for the U.S. national junior team, likes what he sees in Tkachuk at this stage of his career. He believes the 17-year-old left-handed shot will gradually improve as the level of competition gets even better.

Wow - another old Jet name.  I had completely forgotten about Danton Cole.  Looks like the new Jets have quite the network of old Jets feeding them intel.

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

he played with Roslovic and Matthews.

Tkachuk looks to be an assist machine. I'd rather get Chychrun.

Chychryn's shoulder issues scare the crap out of me...  to have a shoulder popping out that young means IR time of the rest of your career.

In terms of Jet's needs v. talent... this would be my top ten.  I think forward talent is higher than D...

Matthews

Laine

Puulu

Tkachuk

Dubois

Logan Brown

Juolevi

McLeod

Gauthier

Bellows

For the second pick...

Jake Bean

Logan Stanley

Niemellainen

Riley Tufte

Chychrun underwent surgery April 1 to correct a torn ligament in his back that was allowing his left shoulder to pop out from behind.

“Which is uncommon,” he pointed out. “Anything out in front, it would just go back.”

After the first week of mostly-medicated recovery, it was off to the therapy room to stretch and start increasing his range of motion before proceeding to strength training.

“Once you get back into the thick of things it comes back pretty quick, quicker than you'd imagine,” he said. “I loss some muscle, but that came back even quicker than the strength did.”

The initial prognosis was six months of recovery time before he was able to play again, so having the procedure as soon as possible following the second injury meant being at full strength heading into this season.

“It worked out perfect,” he said.

The decision, though, also meant missing his team's playoff run, which matched up Sarnia against the heavily-favoured Connor McDavid-led Otters.

As much as he wanted to be out there helping his club attempt to pull off the upset – his teammates managed to earn a Game 1 victory in Erie before losing four straight – it wasn't enough of a reason to justify risking further injury.

“There was a chance to make it worse if I were to play back in Erie there. There was just no point to risk not being ready for this year,” he said.

Going under the knife also meant not having to worry about protecting his wing as he was a little hesitant during his initial non-surgical return.

Now that is not an issue.

“Having that extra confidence in it now, it's good to have trust in it,” he said.

To get to this point, he worked with rehab staff, who were in touch with his Philadelphia-based surgeon, on a daily basis throughout the spring and summer, the majority of which was spent at his family's cottage outside of Ottawa.

“They were great with being smart with me, but making sure I got some light contact in some game-like situations before they sent me back here,” he said.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Chychryn's shoulder issues scare the crap out of me...  to have a shoulder popping out that young means IR time of the rest of your career.

In terms of Jet's needs v. talent... this would be my top ten.  I think forward talent is higher than D...

Matthews

Laine

Puulu

Tkachuk

Dubois

Logan Brown

Juolevi

McLeod

Gauthier

Bellows

For the second pick...

Jake Bean

Logan Stanley

Niemellainen

Riley Tufte

So, you have listed 14 players and the top rated D man (a LHD no less) that many say is NHL ready, isn't on your list.

His shoulder has been fixed. He's played a lot of games since the surgery and everything is fine. His ceiling is a 1D man but I would be more than happy with a 2LHD. I'd take Puljujarvi over Laine but that is me.

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

So, you have listed 14 players and the top rated D man (a LHD no less) that many say is NHL ready, isn't on your list.

His shoulder has been fixed. He's played a lot of games since the surgery and everything is fine. His ceiling is a 1D man but I would be more than happy with a 2LHD. I'd take Puljujarvi over Laine but that is me.

I can agree with the aprehension of the shoulder issues.  I have "loose" shoulder joints from not getting them pinned back in the day and they can go out from the simplest of actions now.  throwing a football or baseball.  dunking a basket ball..

sucks.