News Feed Forum Questions

iso_55

News Feed Survey  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Free Press news articles removed from the News Feed Section?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want the News Feed forum removed and the articles posted in the Bomber forum?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you want to see ofter news sites added to the News Feed?

• Yes (if yes, post which ones below)
    • No

As the Free Press is now hidden behind a pay wall & posters like me who live outside of Winnipeg don't have access to any stories unless we pay for  it (yeah right, Free Press), what is the point of having a News Feed section? Wouldn't just including everything in the Blue Bombers Discussion be better? The only newspaper or media access we have now is the Winnipeg Sun. It seems like a waste of time to post Free Press stories especially as the only ones who can read them are Freep subscribers themselves. Can something be done to expand the coverage to other media outlets or change things up?? 

As the Free Press is now hidden behind a pay wall & posters like me who live outside of Winnipeg don't have access to any stories unless we pay for  it (yeah right, Free Press), what is the point of having a News Feed section?

I have considered a couple of times now to cut the Free Press articles out now that they are behind a pay wall.  But they don't really hurt anyone there and people who do have access may appreciate them.

Wouldn't just including everything in the Blue Bombers Discussion be better?

The only other news feed is the Winnipeg Sun.  Personally, I wouldn't like mixing in those news articles with the regular discussion.  

It seems like a waste of time to post Free Press stories especially as the only ones who can read them are Freep subscribers themselves

There is no time investment so no time wasted.  The site has an automated feature that posts those articles.  It really costs nothing to do it.  The only reason to take it away is if it really really annoys a large percentage of posters who see it and can't read it.

Can something be done to expand the coverage to other media outlets or change things up?? 

I can investigate this a little further.  Basically the site can post any articles from any news site that has an RSS feed (which most do).  The only caveat being they would have to have a separate RSS feed for just the CFL articles unless people were okay getting ALL their articles for every sport.

I'll put a poll on this thread and see what people think.  Feel free to post your thoughts and preferences as well.

I too do not live in Winnipeg any more so have limited print media access. I get 10 sun articles a month free and that is it. I'm guessing that because FP is now charging it might be a copyright infringement to copy and paste articles on our site. That would be a huge benefit.

I am a regular Free Press reader, but apart from their gameday inserts, the day-to-day coverage is pathetic, particularly now that Lawless is gone. I suspect this is due in equal parts to growing fan apathy, the team`s dismal efforts and the lack of resources that the paper is willing to devote. The Jet/NHL coverage seems to be the main thing these days.

I too do not live in Winnipeg any more so have limited print media access. I get 10 sun articles a month free and that is it. I'm guessing that because FP is now charging it might be a copyright infringement to copy and paste articles on our site. That would be a huge benefit.

Just go into an Incognito window in Chrome and you can read as many articles in the Sun as you want to. (Resets the counter to 1 every time).

Just go into an Incognito window in Chrome and you can read as many articles in the Sun as you want to. (Resets the counter to 1 every time).

For the Sun, go into your settings and remove the cookie that the Sun installs and you're back to 0 articles read.  For the Free Press sign up with an e-mail address and you get a free trial period.  When that ends, sign up with a different address and you get another trial.  A bit of a nusience but I've been doing it for the last several months with no problem.

For the Sun, go into your settings and remove the cookie that the Sun installs and you're back to 0 articles read.  For the Free Press sign up with an e-mail address and you get a free trial period.  When that ends, sign up with a different address and you get another trial.  A bit of a nusience but I've been doing it for the last several months with no problem.

I did the nuisance new email address thing for 3 iterations then got tired of it. You could try the Canada News Sites Paywall Bypass extension for chrome. It says that it bypasses both the Winnipeg Sun and the Winnipeg Free press paywalls, but note that I haven't used it myself.