D'Angelis vs Palardy

DR. CFL

Two head coaches have not had confidence in his ability to hit kicks over 40 yards.  

I'm not going to disagree with your overall sentiments, but is this because they didn't have faith in the kicker or because they (in Lapos case moreso, it's pretty clear Burke didn't like Palardy) had so much faith in the defense that they preferred to try and pin teams deep?

The bigger concern is that the miss becomes a TD the other way.  One of the worst decisions Lapo made was sending Palardy out for a 48 yarder into the wind at Canad Inns at the end of a half vs the Argos in 2010.  Owens fielded the attempt at the 5 yard line and ran it back.  Punting from inside your own 45 is not a good situation for pinning anybody (unless there is a significant wind).  Punters don't practice shanking punts, they can't use their proper technique to hit that kick, and it has just as good of a chance of going into the endzone.

When you watch kickers in warmup or practice, most of them go out to 55-60 yards and hit kicks.  They probably couldn't do it in a game against the rush, but you can see them do it off a stand.  Palardy could barely get it to the posts from 45-50.

I really believe the season went the other way with that missed field goal. If that goes threw they win 4 or 5 more games that year.

Two head coaches have not had confidence in his ability to hit kicks over 40 yards.  

I'm not going to disagree with your overall sentiments, but is this because they didn't have faith in the kicker or because they (in Lapos case moreso, it's pretty clear Burke didn't like Palardy) had so much faith in the defense that they preferred to try and pin teams deep?

The bigger concern is that the miss becomes a TD the other way.  One of the worst decisions Lapo made was sending Palardy out for a 48 yarder into the wind at Canad Inns at the end of a half vs the Argos in 2010.  Owens fielded the attempt at the 5 yard line and ran it back.  Punting from inside your own 45 is not a good situation for pinning anybody (unless there is a significant wind).  Punters don't practice shanking punts, they can't use their proper technique to hit that kick, and it has just as good of a chance of going into the endzone.

When you watch kickers in warmup or practice, most of them go out to 55-60 yards and hit kicks.  They probably couldn't do it in a game against the rush, but you can see them do it off a stand.  Palardy could barely get it to the posts from 45-50.

Wasn't that Serna?

Wasn't that Serna?

No it was the end of October 2010.

Here's an Owens quote from CP:

Receiver Chad Owens scored his fourth kick-return touchdown of the season with four seconds left in the first half after Bomber kicker Justin Palardy was short on a field-goal attempt into the wind.

"Licking my chops," said Owens. "I kind of anticipated it being short.

"So as soon as he hit it, I knew it was going to be short so when I caught it, I just wanted to hesitate a sec (to let the blockers) get around and do their job and I just ran. It was pretty simple."

Three of Owens' kick-return scores have been against the Bombers, including another off a missed Alexis Serna field-goal attempt and one from a punt return. His other was on a punt return against Calgary.

I think fans being concerned that we're getting older at the kicking position is unwarranted. Kickers can play a long time. Like I said before, there are way more important things to worry about  regarding this team. Craig Dickenson is a very good ST coach & he obviously sees something he likes in D'Angelis over Palardy.

so what did we conclude in this thread? Palardy has a weak leg and couldn't be trusted for long ones... deangelis is a better kickoff guy and thus far, as good as or better then Palardy?

minus the age, Sandro is the better choice (to me anyway) especially if we consider the idea that Palardy was much too.. average to below average.. we needed or were going to need more reliability on close kicks and kick offs..