Shake Up at CJOB

Hey Noeller, I wonder who'll get the axe in Calgary at QR77 as it's owned by Corus? Right now, their programming is all over the map. Long time hosts fired or retired. Replacement hosts with totally different political philosophies from the hosts they replaced pissing off their audience, double shifting personalities during the day & rotating guest hosts for months at a time making it look like the radio station can't find anyone. They even replay portions of the Morning Show at 12:30 pm for half an hour weekdays during prime time radio which is unbelievable. They call it the "Best Of The Morning Show".. who are they trying to kid?

Then there's weekends where they do nothing but push products with infomercial after imfomercial. CHQR is just **** radio. I've virtually stopped listening since the end of June.

http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2015/07/28/lexine-zenon-gone-calgarys-q107/

"Got word earlier this afternoon Lexine Stephens and Zenon West are no longer with Calgary’s  Q107 and what now appears to be an across the country cuts for Corus…."

Marty Gold's show was better than what OB or CBC puts out.

How did Dalia make the cut indeed?

Noeller for CJOB sports director.

Noeller, make sure when you become sports director the first thing you say on the air is...

BOOOOGGGGEEEEEEERRRRR

When I went into my final year at ACC Brandon, I'd been leaning towards News/Sports, but my instructors thought I'd enjoy the Jock side more, so I ended up doing my 2-month Dauphin practicum as an Evening/Swing jock, doing 6pm-Midnight for awhile. That led to a 4 year stint, climbing from Evenings to Afternoons to Middays to Mornings......then 2 years of Mornings in Winkler.....and now 8 years of Afternoons/Mornings in different formats in Alberta.

Have done quite a bit of live sports broadcasting, but my forte is definitely music programming. Eat, Sleep, Breathe 80s/90s Country Music......

Hey Noeller, I wonder who'll get the axe in Calgary at QR77 as it's owned by Corus? Right now, their programming is all over the map. Long time hosts fired or retired. Replacement hosts with totally different political philosophies from the hosts they replaced pissing off their audience, double shifting personalities during the day & rotating guest hosts for months at a time making it look like the radio station can't find anyone. They even replay portions of the Morning Show at 12:30 pm for half an hour weekdays during prime time radio which is unbelievable. They call it the "Best Of The Morning Show".. who are they trying to kid?

Then there's weekends where they do nothing but push products with infomercial after imfomercial. CHQR is just **** radio. I've virtually stopped listening since the end of June.

"Got word earlier this afternoon Lexine Stephens and Zenon West are no longer with Calgary’s  Q107 and what now appears to be an across the country cuts for Corus…."

Lexi was a very good on air person. So was Zenon. Man, that sucks.

F***ing Corus....a real shame. And yet, through all of this, in my time in Alberta, I haven't seen them touch Country 105 with a ten foot pole. Other than the rotating crew of evening kids right outta SAIT/MR, they've had the same on air line up for a decade. Corus wouldn't dare touch that one...

Maybe we are all from different social circles... because all of my co workers and friends are at least somewhat tech savy and pretty much all of them listen to either satellite radio,  mp3s,  bluetooth music from their phones or good old cds...  even at work rather then streaming music stations they pretty much use youtube or radio streams that are 100% commercial free.    

The only talk radio that gets played is ESPN or something like Howard Stern...      I think the only people who mention CJOB are older then dust (i.e. My Dad or the guys near retirement at work).  

Marty Gold was like the ringmasters of local wrestling...a walking disaster full or carnie like guests and I don't think his niche would work with normal radio listeners.

Regardless as the years go by I will be amazed if cjob even exists... I don't know anyone my age who tunes into radio anymore.

Thats an awful representation.  You might be sullied by years of inadequate local "journalism" but Martys show was the only local radio program that actually looked into current events and didnt just read press releases.  He had lots of great guests on from the obvious and mainstream to the less obvious.  There was a time when his show was the only one Mayor Sammy would appear on.  In fact, Sammy had seemingly blackballed CJOB but Marty interviewed him when he was guest hosting the Nighthawk

And I know for a fact CJOB had further discussions with him. 

It also gave the college students real work to do.  I was really surprised by how many people were avid listeners.  Just at my work, my 50+ year old boss, 25 year old co-workers and everyone in between.  Dont under-estimate how popular his show was.  There was a reason the commercial stations wanted to kill it.  It was the only think worth listening to between 4-6.

I enjoyed Marty Gold's program on KICK.  Made my daily drive from RRC to St.Vital more bearable.  Didn't always agree with his views but no one covered Winnipeg issues like he did.  

• 2 months later...

After 39 years on the air at 680 CJOB, Brian Barkley has announced he is retiring at the end of October.

The longtime traffic reporter will deliver his final traffic updates on Friday, October 30. Barkley started his radio career in 1976, doing evening and weekend newscasts for 680 CJOB, but he is most famous for his 25 years as Winnipeg’s most trusted voice in traffic.

““I loved being in touch with our audience, it gave me a positive spin because the vast majority of people I talked to were friendly, funny, caring and concerned,” says Barkley. “Just a short time ago a man spotted me and stuck his hand out and said, ‘Thank you, you’ve saved me so much time over the years with your traffic reports.’ At that same instant another man did the same thing and very graciously said much the same thing. They were both so sincere, I was very moved… this is what I’ll miss most.”

He announced his retirement Monday morning on Winnipeg’s Morning News.