Klingberg traded

Pavelec has statistically been the worst "starting" goalie in the NHL since he signed that contract.

I'm no Pavelec defender but that's not even slightly accurate.
Actually yes it is.

You know when someone makes a statement like that he/she will be asked to prove it. 

Adding "one of..." would have helped out gbill and saved us all some time.

Sometimes, common sense can be applied though, no? - one of the worst, the worst.... 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...

Since Pavs broke into the NHL (full time), the league average for goalies is 2.58 GAA and .913 SV%. Pavs clocks in at 2.92 GAA and .906 SV%.

Considering Pavs has been below the league average in both categories every single year, pretty safe to say he's been one of the worst starters over that period.

He's also averaged 54 appearances per season over the last 5 - which seems very high given his play (relative to the rest of the league) especially factoring in the shortened season where he was 44/48.

The statistical roadblock to proclaiming Pavs the worst in the league is that no other goalie has put up numbers similar to him, and had such a long leash for so long.

Those people are semi correct, it depends on if you consider PAV the starter or not, he's not right now it seems. So Pav's numbers this year... nevermind the last several, somewhat irrelevant considering the team themselves sucked but his numbers, (save percentage) and GAA for that matter... are better than

James Reimer

Kari Lehtonen

Darcy Kuemper

Ben Scrivens

Mike Smith

Victor Fasth

Nicklas Backstrom

Ilya Bryzgalov

and Several others including Al Montoya

Not sure why people are comparing PAV to starting goalies anyway, he's the back-up and it's obvious

He's also not being paid tons of money like the real starters are.. 3.9 million is less than what Mike Smith and Lehtonen are making. 

Pav's numbers aren't very good but... it's better than what people make him out to be.

Fact is, if people would stop pretending he's the starter and compare him to backups, his numbers are solid actually. 

Jets using a rotation this year, Hutch has taken over that rotation.. last 3 years? Whatever, there are goalies with worse numbers than pavelec. 

I'll never understand tho why people think Pavelec should be as good as the elite goalies in the league, he's not being paid like an elite goalie, those guys are making 6 7 million bucks a year. 

To be honest, not even sure why we are talking about Pavelec, people looking for scapegoats i guess? Cuz fact is, he hasn't played in a long time, probably won't play for a while too. 

Right now, Pav is a back-up to Hutch and when you look at the numbers around the league, he's got the same numbers or better even than many of the backups in the league.

Why was he signed to a long contract in 2011? Because if you go back in time and look and see what the Jets had, they had NOTHING. 

People can say, they could have signed a free agent goalie, yup, guess so but... who? Who could they have signed? I want some names please. Because it's easy to look back and see what was Chevy thinking, but reality at that time was... we had nobody in the system at all. Was Hutch even in the system at that time? I don't think he was. 

To be honest, not even sure why we are talking about Pavelec, people looking for scapegoats i guess? Cuz fact is, he hasn't played in a long time, probably won't play for a while too.

Right now, Pav is a back-up to Hutch and when you look at the numbers around the league, he's got the same numbers or better even than many of the backups in the league.

Why was he signed to a long contract in 2011? Because if you go back in time and look and see what the Jets had, they had NOTHING.

People can say, they could have signed a free agent goalie, yup, guess so but... who? Who could they have signed? I want some names please. Because it's easy to look back and see what was Chevy thinking, but reality at that time was... we had nobody in the system at all. Was Hutch even in the system at that time? I don't think he was.

Who cares about the pipeline. There were several better goaltenders available for much less through free agency.

I 100% disagree. Pavelec has statistically been the worst "starting" goalie in the NHL since he signed that contract. There were many other options available like an AHL call up, or signing another teams backup in free agency to be our starter. All of those options would have cost less and would have resulted in better performance.

none of this is true. Please supper your argument with facts. At the tjme he signed his contract who would you have called up from St Johns to be our starter?

Who cares about the pipeline. There were several better goaltenders available for much less through free agency.

Who?

I 100% disagree. Pavelec has statistically been the worst "starting" goalie in the NHL since he signed that contract. There were many other options available like an AHL call up, or signing another teams backup in free agency to be our starter. All of those options would have cost less and would have resulted in better performance.

none of this is true. Please supper your argument with facts. At the tjme he signed his contract who would you have called up from St Johns to be our starter?
No one. Every offseason there have been 10-12 free agent goalies who would have been cheaper and better than Pavelec. Pavelec is at best qualified to be an NHL backup goaltender.

And you knew this back then right? So who were the free agent goalies that the jets could have signed at that time?

Guys with worse numbers than Pavelec. That's who.

100% false. Pavelec is terrible. Did you read the links I privided earlier with stats to back this up?

Have you provided links to the free agent goalies who were available at the time Pavs signed his contract and more specifically the ones we had a reasonable shot at signing?

Fans are always geniuses when they use hindsight and pretend they "knew" back then when they didnt.  Pavs contract was heralded by most as a good contract.  It was a reasonable cap hit over enough years that if it worked out, he took us right to where we might have some young guys pushing him and if it didnt work out, it was not an albatross.

He was the MVP of the team, which was a bad team, by the way.  I guess we could just sign Crosby too...why didnt we do that?  Hindsight is 20/20 but logic isnt.  It was the right deal at the right time.  And if Hutch hadnt turned out he'd be our starter right now, for better or worse.

Signing Pav wasn't that bad of a move, he just didn't rise afterwards and kind of plateaued at the level he played at back then.

Who had the hindsight that Hutch would of gone from being dumped by Boston and then go from echl to ahl to NHL backup and then to NHL starter in a year.

Why not praise Chevy for finding and signing Hutch for such a cheap price.

Signing Pav wasn't that bad of a move, he just didn't rise afterwards and kind of plateaued at the level he played at back then.

Who had the hindsight that Hutch would of gone from being dumped by Boston and then go from echl to ahl to NHL backup and then to NHL starter in a year.

Why not praise Chevy for finding and signing Hutch for such a cheap price.

Exactly.  Cause where are we right now had Hutch not come along?

Hutch still has one year left so even if he's the bonafide starter (and that isnt clear yet) and Pavs is his back up, it's still a good value as a combo.  And when Hutch needs a new deal, it's Pavs last year on his contract.  Either you eat the last year (and Pavs' money wont be too bad as salaries increase) or you trade Pavs.  Unless he completely bottoms out there will be teams needing a veteran back up who will bite on a pending UFA...and ofcourse thats only if Hally is ready for the big time.