Josh Portis contract extended

Goalie

Looks like we're giving up on Willy. Oh well.

Indeed O'Shea's comments during the Etcheverry departure news conf suggest Drew Willy will be on a short leash.
Huh? I assume you're joking.
Me too.. I have a very hard time believing that we are even remotely considering moving on from Willy or short leashing the guy..
And the fact that I watched the entire press conference and O'Shea didn't allude to Willy being on a short leash at all.

What O'Shea said between 5 mins 30 and 6 mins 20 in that news conf is hardly a ringing endorsement of Bellefueille or Drew Willy.

I just re-watched that part and I don't see how that could be interpteted as Willy being on a short leash.

"I think the biggest issue is trying to find a defensive coordinator and how that affects the other staff members"

"We started something with Drew Willy"

"To be fair to Drew, if you keep changing coordinators on a quarterback, you can set him back"

"We found a good young quarterback"

"It's my preference to keep going"

Seems pretty clear to me. Drew is obviously in the doghouse.

You missed the part at 6 mins 3 secs where O'Shea quickly transitions away from endorsing just Drew Willy and reminds everyone that the Bombers have a stable of 4 good young QBs - as he puts it. 

And if you think about what he says regarding the OC position, he's actually saying if we had more experienced QBs then someone other than MB would be a viable option as OC. He's saying that it's not that MB is a great OC, just that bringing in a new system out would set back the development of the QBs. Obviously management talked about the option of a new OC.

And what part of any of that is an indictment of Drew Willy?

Looks like we're giving up on Willy. Oh well.

Indeed O'Shea's comments during the Etcheverry departure news conf suggest Drew Willy will be on a short leash.
Me too.. I have a very hard time believing that we are even remotely considering moving on from Willy or short leashing the guy..
And the fact that I watched the entire press conference and O'Shea didn't allude to Willy being on a short leash at all.

What O'Shea said between 5 mins 30 and 6 mins 20 in that news conf is hardly a ringing endorsement of Bellefueille or Drew Willy.

I just re-watched that part and I don't see how that could be interpteted as Willy being on a short leash.

"I think the biggest issue is trying to find a defensive coordinator and how that affects the other staff members"

"To be fair to Drew, if you keep changing coordinators on a quarterback, you can set him back"

You missed the part at 6 mins 3 secs where O'Shea quickly transitions away from endorsing just Drew Willy and reminds everyone that the Bombers have a stable of 4 good young QBs - as he puts it. 

And if you think about what he says regarding the OC position, he's actually saying if we had more experienced QBs then someone other than MB would be a viable option as OC. He's saying that it's not that MB is a great OC, just that bringing in a new system out would set back the development of the QBs. Obviously management talked about the option of a new OC.

You need to look more carefully at what I said. Earlier in this thread I talked about Bellefueille and Willy, both. And what I said specifically about the QB is that I read from OShea's comments that DW is on a short leash. He's still #1 but Oshea isn't sticking his neck out like he did when Willy was first signed. If he doesn't quickly and consistently perform, I take from OShea's comments that there's good young stable of replacements. To me that spells short leash. 

O'Shea is smart to not put all his eggs in one basket. Willy started out on fire but tailed off badly at the end of the year, and there may be some question whether it was horrible game plans, accumulating injuries, a rotten O-line or maybe, just maybe Willy has gotten shell-shocked from the beating he took. Its still Willy's job to lose, but the backups looked pretty good at times even with that O-line, so perhaps who the quarterback will be all next year is not set in stone. We've seen what losing your starting and only credible quarterback gets sidelined in Vancouver and Regina.

You need to look more carefully at what I said. Earlier in this thread I talked about Bellefueille and Willy, both. And what I said specifically about the QB is that I read from OShea's comments that DW is on a short leash. He's still #1 but Oshea isn't sticking his neck out like he did when Willy was first signed. If he doesn't quickly and consistently perform, I take from OShea's comments that there's good young stable of replacements. To me that spells short leash. 

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else.  I just watched the presser and I didn't get that feeling at all from O'Shea.  I think you're reading something that is not there.