WHL discussion

AtlanticRiderFan

Seen some WHL fans here, so I'm starting this thread up. Discuss anything WHL here: News, game day discussion, etc.

Watch games on WHL Live or any Sportsnet televised games on Sportsnet Now.

Listen to games on radio HERE.

To you guys, Go Wheat Kings go!

But for me, Go Blades go!

My avatar says it all.  And I'm outnumbered by Saskatchewan Dub fans so far  :o.

Here's a gripe.... I think TSN missed an opportunity when they didn't push to get CHL broadcast rights.  When Sportsnet reupped with the exact same number of games (once a week, some of the playoffs) I was letdown bigtime.  Considering how insane we go for the world juniors wouldn't it be nice to see a lot of these players play other than at christmas time and new years?  Not to mention some of these junior teams could certainly use more exposure to help their viability in certain cities.  I wonder if TSN had known that they were going to lose the NHL rights, would they have made a push for the CHL.  I wish they had.  Or even Sportsnet pick up more games.  I realize there may not be ratings or the money for more CHL but hey, it's my gripe and I'd rather a good Dub or Q or OHL game than the world series of poker on a wednesday night. 

Just annoys me in a country that claims to be (and is for the most part) hockey mad we only seem to care if its NHL or World Juniors on the TV.

There, rant complete.

Question for you Duressler, I know the Blades would be insane to do so unless it was the right sitch but what to you as a Blades fan would be a fair trade for Nogier?  He would look great in Black and Gold  :lol:.

Well, we have been trading many of our vets to give our younger players a larger role, so it's a possibility sometime. He's 18, so it wouldn't happen this year, but at 19 or 20, we start to make deals during the rebuild.

Great thing living in a WHL city is its cheap to go to games. 20 bucks gets me in the door. The games are every bit entertaining as going to a NHL game.

Yup, same here. Better yet, I go to a lot of games, so I get flex tickets which amount to even less per game. It's really good deal, especially when you buy the 36+ games and split them with your friends.

Frankly, I would see my Blades LONG before paying 100-200 bucks to see the Oilers mail it in.

As much as I love the Jets (versions 1 and 2), the Wheat Kings have always been the team I cared about the most.  Being raised in the area meant going to see many games as a kid and later on as a teenager.  Also playing against a few future Wheaties and other WHLers in minor hockey makes you care more.  Even living in Winnipeg I still paid more attention to and went to more Wheaties games than Moose games.  Hell I've watched the Wheaties play in Winnipeg more than I watched the Moose in Winnipeg (nothing against the Moose of course).  And now being back in Westman means lots of game every winter.  I think my gf is a bigger fan than I am, which is always nice. (never have to talk her into seeing a hockey game :lol:)

The price as mentioned is fantastic for the level of play you get to watch.  Seen many a future NHL star live at the Keystone, even if they may have been schooiing my team that game.  Also helps the entertainment factor that under Kelly McCrimmon the Wheat Kings play a very offensive minded style.  Less defense more outscore the other guys style of play.  Fun to watch but sadly doesn't win many championships.  Oh well still love 'em!

As for the league this year,  Kelowna looks good in the west, although Portland did sweep them on the wknd.  Haven't really seen Everett play but their imports are as good maybe better than Brandon's.  In the east Calgary and Edmonton look good as always (although without Jarry the Oil Kings would be in trouble), Medicine Hat is good and SC has a tough D. 

Then there's the Wheat Kings, probably the scariest offense in the whole league with both speed and grit.  The defense is ok but could be better in their own zone.  Papirny the goalie is very underrated and his numbers tend to suffer a bit due the style the team plays.  Their best goalie since Tyler Plante.  But if Paps gets hurt the backup isn't so good.  Fingers crossed here.

I know there was talk of Winnipeg getting a WHL team again.  Has that cooled off?  I know Kootenay and Lethbridge were possibilites but it's been quiet for the past few months.  Not that I want either of those places to lose their team but it would be nice to get a team back in Winnipeg and get a rivalry going with Brandon.  Another excuse to come into Winnipeg!

Love the WHL! I love any level of junior hockey, I'm actually pretty disappointed that the MJHL has all but moved out of Winnipeg. Growing up my dad used to always take me to junior games, whether it was MMJHL, MJHL, or WHL games in Brandon or Winnipeg.

I grew up a Wheaties fan, however my loyalties would change if Winnipeg were to ever get a team. BrandonBlue&Gold, you know it's on if Winnipeg ever gets a team!

Love the WHL! I love any level of junior hockey, I'm actually pretty disappointed that the MJHL has all but moved out of Winnipeg. Growing up my dad used to always take me to junior games, whether it was MMJHL, MJHL, or WHL games in Brandon or Winnipeg.

I grew up a Wheaties fan, however my loyalties would change if Winnipeg were to ever get a team. BrandonBlue&Gold, you know it's on if Winnipeg ever gets a team!

You know it Dr. Blue!  We can shake our fists at each other in the stands and tip back a pint after the game.  Good times ahead hopefully :lol:.

Quite the comeback by both sides! Last I had looked, it was 3-2 Brandon. But wow, I wasn't exactly expecting it to be a close game, let alone a win! Well, I guess the Blades still have plenty of fight in them yet.

Bring on the game on Friday! Will likely head to that one. Will be my first Blades game of the season as I have been very busy.

Yikes, Brandon ties the game up with 5 seconds left and wins it in OT. Brandon 4, Saskatoon 3

Good game, BrandonBlue&Gold! Although I will say the Blades did outplay the kings up until the end of the third ;).

Without seeing the games I really can't comment too much but I will take the split.  Sounds like the WK D has been lacking lately but I would also wager the Blades are on a bit of an upswing and matchup well with the Wheaties, and kudos to them.  We had a good game against the Raiders on Saturday and now have a home and home vs a hot Regina Pats team looking for payback from last year's playoffs.  Good times ahead!

This stretch could also mean the Wheaties are coming down to earth after a very hot start or it's a bit of a hiccup.  I think the Regina games will show where the Wheaties are at this point in the season.  The trade for Moodie was a good move, landing a solid if unspectacular veteran goalie for a late round pick was a move we needed to make.  Papirny needs a break once in a while and we need a backup that can hold down the fort if Papirny gets hurt.  Thompson was shaky at best in that role so hopefully he improves back in the AJHL.  I do feel kinda bad for Thompson as he was showing off his new goalie mask on Twitter all done up Wheaties style and then gets sent down two days later.  Poor guy.  Hopefully just a minor setback for him.

Has anyone traveled to other whl cities to see their teams play?  Where and when and how was the experience?  I've only seen the Wheaties play outside of Brandon (and WInnipeg) when I lived in Calgary back in 03/04.  Neat to see the support big league city Calgary gives to a junior team live in person,even if the damn Hitman won that game,  :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Big trade yesterday.  The Rockets get even better by adding Morrissey to their backend and didn't have to give up too much for him.  They were already the favourites to win the WHL, this may make them favourites for the Memorial Cup.  I wonder if there will be other big trades coming in response to Kelowna's move.  Doubtful Reinhart moves now that Kootenay are back in the playoff hunt.  Keep hearing rumblings that the Oil Kings may unload some guys if they continue to falter, but with Jarry as your goalie I'd say they will always have a chance so maybe one of their overage Dmen at best. 

As for my neck of woods I don't think the Wheat Kings will make any moves since we made a big one earlier in the season.  Although with the way he is playing lately our Dman Roy should be on the block.  Unlikely but you can't be a Wheaties fan without hating on at least one of your older Dmen.  It's tradition here in Westman! :lol: Be nice if the Wheat Kings could trade for some size up front.  We've been getting pushed around lately and Regina is breathing down our necks now.  Maybe our hot start was like the Bombers this summer.  If so this is going to hurt come March.

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up as a Calgary Wranglers fan and when they left town was pretty devastated. Adjusted to Jr. A hockey and supported the Calgary Canucks a lot before moving out of Calgary. Love both games with their different styles. 

Down south there isn't junior level hockey in Nashville but their is a quality high school league there and the State Championship game is played in Bridgestone Arena. One day they'll find another Tennessee NHLer and it'll be fun to watch!