WHL discussion

AtlanticRiderFan

I grew up as a Calgary Wranglers fan and when they left town was pretty devastated. Adjusted to Jr. A hockey and supported the Calgary Canucks a lot before moving out of Calgary. Love both games with their different styles. 

Down south there isn't junior level hockey in Nashville but their is a quality high school league there and the State Championship game is played in Bridgestone Arena. One day they'll find another Tennessee NHLer and it'll be fun to watch! 

Any chance they would put a USHL team in your area?  No college level hockey?  If they can get a college team in Arizona maybe Nashville isn't far behind  :).

So the trade deadline is tomorrow and there has been a lot of action.  How do you feel about your teams' moves Jpans and Duressler?  Both the Blades and the Pats made a lot of moves for the future, especially the Pats who were looking very good this season (handled my Wheat Kings the last couple times they played).  

The Wheat Kings sacrificed a good young player to get a half season of Morgan Klimchuk, who is very very good.  I'll miss Gabrielle but it sounds like a change of scenery was needed for both sides if the rumours here in Brandon are to be believed.  And picking up Gow for cheap was a good move for our Defense, but I admit I thought they would have aimed a little higher and a bit tougher for a Dman (not to put down Gow who is skilled and smart in both ends of the ice).  Maybe I just bought too much into all the online rumours lol.  As it is the Wheat Kings got two solid players and didn't sacrifice next year to do it.  But Medicine Hat and Red Deer look scarier now than they were before.  As for the west the rich get richer as Kelowna's roster looks unstoppable now.  But you never know come playoff time.

Sam Steel has the potential to be a very special player. Was at the game on Wednesday was really impressedby Gabrielle tough hard nose guy who is skilled. Add a top notch D prospect in Leschyshyn who makes debut tonight looks like a good job. Paddock has put his stamp on the team now.

Sam Steel has the potential to be a very special player. Was at the game on Wednesday was really impressedby Gabrielle tough hard nose guy who is skilled. Add a top notch D prospect in Leschyshyn who makes debut tonight looks like a good job. Paddock has put his stamp on the team now.

Erik Gardiner will be a good one for them as well. Drafted in the 2nd round in 2014.

Fwiw, the buzz around Red Deer is that Brandon vs Kelowna will be a hell of a final...

It would be but I have a hard time believing it will happen.  You need good responsible defensive play to go far in the playoffs and Brandon always seems to be weak in that department.  I think the Wheat Kings could get to the finals, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got taken out at or before the conference finals.  As for Kelowna they are the favourites, but after seeing Everett up close it could be a tough battle out west too.  Should be an interesting playoffs in a few months.  

Gabrielle will be fine player for your Pats.  I hate the fact we have to play him many many times over the next two or three seasons, even though I see the logic in the trade (and not really having a choice anyways).  And Steel is very impressive, tough guy to defend and will only get better.  I admire the direction Paddock is taking with the Pats, but it is a bit of a gamble.  A lot can happen in two years.  Saskatoon and Prince Albert are in rebuild mode as well with some good pieces, and the Wheat Kings could still be a handful in 2016/17 with the likes of Patrick, Clague, and Mattheos to deal with.  But it definitely is a change in philosophy, unlike past years when guys like Eberle and Weal were hung on to when they should have been traded for the future.  Again I like Paddock's direction better, even if it means pain for my team down the road lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Stovin gets a hat trick as the Blades defeat Moose Jaw 6-1! Blades have now won 4 straight games.

6 in a row here in Brandon.   :P

Yeah, you guys are doing us a huge solid beating our division rivals :)! Hopefully Brandon can beat Swift Current tonight as they are the team we need to catch for playoffs if it is still in the picture.

Stovin gets a hat trick as the Blades defeat Moose Jaw 6-1! Blades have now won 4 straight games.

6 in a row here in Brandon.   :P

Yeah, you guys are doing us a huge solid beating our division rivals :)! Hopefully Brandon can beat Swift Current tonight as they are the team we need to catch for playoffs if it is still in the picture.

Our bad. Sorry about that.  Damn Bow!  :lol:

Blades shutout SC last night. So perhaps there is still a chance yet. But I think we must win this series against SC in order to have a chance, otherwise the season is over. Still 18 points back IIRC.

Realistically you probably have to start thinking of next season.  What looks good for your Blades next season? Better forwards and D?  Goaltending? I admit my knowledge of the Blades is limited.  I know you guys made some good moves for the future at the trade deadline. 

• 4 weeks later...

Blades shutout SC last night. So perhaps there is still a chance yet. But I think we must win this series against SC in order to have a chance, otherwise the season is over. Still 18 points back IIRC.

Realistically you probably have to start thinking of next season.  What looks good for your Blades next season? Better forwards and D?  Goaltending? I admit my knowledge of the Blades is limited.  I know you guys made some good moves for the future at the trade deadline. 

Forwards will probably end up downgrading a little as Stovin and Zajac will be 21 next season. Defence is very young as far as I know, so it shouldn't be shaken up too much. Amundrud should be our starter again next year so, goaltending won't be shaken up too much either.

Overall, I don't think we will lose too many players, so next year will be a good season to strengthen the chemistry of the current roster. I think we should be a bubble playoff team by then.