Kane Trade Rumours

On a different but potentially related note, a twitter discussion is ongoing centering around Ryan O'Reilly.  Dregger reported the Jets with interest (I didnt see the original report so dont know if this is recent interest or old interest but I recall it being heavily reported that the Jets were interested before ROR signed his extension with the Avs).

Im a bit confused by what position plays.  Perhaps someone who watches the Avs can explain.  He was originally a centre.  TSN projected him on the RW but list him as a LW.  He shoots left.  He'd certainly look terrific on our RW.

All you need to do to see Kane doesn't want out of Winnipeg is watch him play.

I agree.

If he really wanted out hed just call it in. I dont see him doing that.

And again this is the silliest thing I've ever read.  Everyone from Lawless to Mackenzie said Kane wanted out of Winnipeg in the last season or two.  When did Kane "call it in?"  Not once.  Give your head a shake.

Well first of all i just dont believe everything these guys say. Rumors are just that... rumors.

IMO when he plays he goes all out ... Hes not just calling it in.

And if he really wanted out over the last 2 seasons im sure hed have asked for it and if he didnt get moved he would just stop playing as hard. 

I agree.

And again this is the silliest thing I've ever read.  Everyone from Lawless to Mackenzie said Kane wanted out of Winnipeg in the last season or two.  When did Kane "call it in?"  Not once.  Give your head a shake.

Well first of all i just dont believe everything these guys say. Rumors are just that... rumors.

And if he really wanted out over the last 2 seasons im sure hed have asked for it and if he didnt get moved he would just stop playing as hard. 

Read the entire thread because Im not going to waste my time recounting all my points.  But if you dont think Lawless and Mackenzie are connected then you're starting from a disadvantage.  I guess Kane desperately wanted to play here when he waited until the last possible moment to sign his contract extension, right?

I agree.

Read the entire thread because Im not going to waste my time recounting all my points.  But if you dont think Lawless and Mackenzie are connected then you're starting from a disadvantage.  I guess Kane desperately wanted to play here when he waited until the last possible moment to sign his contract extension, right?

Did i say they dont have connections? Dont think i did. I just said i dont believe everything i read or hear them say.

Its my opinion that if he really wanted out then hed be gone.

I agree.

Did i say they dont have connections? Dont think i did. I just said i dont believe everything i read or hear them say.

And how would he accomplish that?  Stomping his feet?

if you read the thread you know *my* opinion which was that he wanted out last season.  The NHL insiders' remarks on this at the time also support that notion.  Kane's comments during the off-season support that notion.  But I also feel Kane is a stand up hockey player who signed a contract.  I think there was a meeting before the season began and there is an understanding between player and management.  But Kane has never given anything but his best on-ice.

I agree.

if you read the thread you know *my* opinion which was that he wanted out last season.  The NHL insiders' remarks on this at the time also support that notion.  Kane's comments during the off-season support that notion.  But I also feel Kane is a stand up hockey player who signed a contract.  I think there was a meeting before the season began and there is an understanding between player and management.  But Kane has never given anything but his best on-ice.

I agree. Kane is a stand up guy. I also agree he wasent happy for the last 2 years but i think it may have had to do with more of Noel rather then him not wanting to be a Jet.

I really find it difficult to contribute to the Jets portion of this forum because of one poster's apparent desire to consistently badger anyone who disagrees with them.

Opinion is not fact. Shocking.

Wait.  *You* are stating "opinion is not fact*?  YOU?? lol  Jokes.  But seriously, I love discussion.  Happy to admit when Im wrong.  But thoughtful discussion.  "Kane plays good so he loves the Jets" is goofy.  Im not saying it is without merit.  Im saying expand on that.

I agree.

I agree. Kane is a stand up guy. I also agree he wasent happy for the last 2 years but i think it may have had to do with more of Noel rather then him not wanting to be a Jet.

We can agree on that to a degree.  I take the coach's side (without knowing specifics of their issues) and I think what Kane did to Noel was very unprofessional.  I think Noel was just the wrong coach at the wrong time for this team though he probably seemed like the perfect coach.  We had a young team and he was well known as a "teacher".  Problem with the Jets were even though it was a young team, they were never developed properly in Atlanta so Kane and Burmi etc were not traditional 19 year olds.  Much more difficult to manage.

I dont think a coaching change satisfies Kane's desire for a larger market.  But I think the franchise here probably satisfies him as far as the business relationship.  Kane got a pretty rude awakening as far as how different playing in a fish bowl can be and Im sure that wasnt easy for him to go through.  One thing I noticed was that game where he was in the announcers booth for a few minutes, you could here him reacting to everything and it showed a very very strong emotional involvement with the game and his team mates.

I agree.

We can agree on that to a degree.  I take the coach's side (without knowing specifics of their issues) and I think what Kane did to Noel was very unprofessional.  I think Noel was just the wrong coach at the wrong time for this team though he probably seemed like the perfect coach.  We had a young team and he was well known as a "teacher".  Problem with the Jets were even though it was a young team, they were never developed properly in Atlanta so Kane and Burmi etc were not traditional 19 year olds.  Much more difficult to manage.

I dont think a coaching change satisfies Kane's desire for a larger market.  But I think the franchise here probably satisfies him as far as the business relationship.  Kane got a pretty rude awakening as far as how different playing in a fish bowl can be and Im sure that wasnt easy for him to go through.  One thing I noticed was that game where he was in the announcers booth for a few minutes, you could here him reacting to everything and it showed a very very strong emotional involvement with the game and his team mates.

Well see thats the thing ... your taking a side without really knowing and believing rumours and then telling me to give my head a shake?

I just gave my opinion on what i think without taking any side or just believing everything i hear or read.

And the reason for my opinion is this.....  Noel may have been a good teacher and the idea to hire him for the young team we had was a sound one to a point. But his real lack of being a HC in the NHL and players buying into his system failed. I dont at all think Noel just lost the respect of Kane but he lost most of the room because i dont think Noel had a very good system to put players in the position to succeed.

Now with a HC with experience and a solid system in place its easier for a player like Kane to buy in and understand hes going to be given the chance to prove what he can do.  

I agree.

Well see thats the thing ... your taking a side without really knowing and believing rumours and then telling me to give my head a shake?

I just gave my opinion on what i think without taking any side or just believing everything i hear or read.

And the reason for my opinion is this.....  Noel may have been a good teacher and the idea to hire him for the young team we had was a sound one to a point. But his real lack of being a HC in the NHL and players buying into his system failed. I dont at all think Noel just lost the respect of Kane but he lost most of the room because i dont think Noel had a very good system to put players in the position to succeed.

Now with a HC with experience and a solid system in place its easier for a player like Kane to buy in and understand hes going to be given the chance to prove what he can do.  

Im using reasonable speculation combined with logic and the opinion/information provided by experts and insiders.

I dont think Noel's systems were the issue.  A lot of NHL'ers say systems arent really a big deal, its how the system is worked within that counts.  I just think Noel was trying to make Burmi and Kane more responsible which is good.  I think Kane is actually a better player because of Noel's coaching.  Burmi didnt want to buy in but if Burmi didnt have the KHL as an option he'd be here too and he might be better off from playing for Noel.

I think the pyschological make up of the team needs a coach like Maurice who will make the guys "f*cking cry in that room" more than Noel trying to be the kind teacher.  But noel is a good coach.

Fair enough.

My opinion on the 2 different styles is this...

Noel as being more of a teacher of the game had an entire ice system.... You went where the system required you to be if you wernt all following everything would break down.

Maurice has a D first system and when you get hold of the puck and its in your teams possession it allows for free wheeling players like a Kane or Wheeler or Burmi or even a Buff to use their instinct to move the puck and move into positions. Noels had places you needed to go to without really allowing players to freewheel and use their instinct as much.

This IMO is why players like Kane and Burmi didnt buy in. Its also why i think guys like Schief and Buff had trouble with it.

Fair enough.

My opinion on the 2 different styles is this...

Noel as being more of a teacher of the game had an entire ice system.... You went where the system required you to be if you wernt all following everything would break down.

Maurice has a D first system and when you get hold of the puck and its in your teams possession it allows for free wheeling players like a Kane or Wheeler or Burmi or even a Buff to use their instinct to move the puck and move into positions. Noels had places you needed to go to without really allowing players to freewheel and use their instinct as much.

This IMO is why players like Kane and Burmi didnt buy in. Its also why i think guys like Schief and Buff had trouble with it.

Thats very fair.  I certainly prefer Maurice's style as long as the offense catches up.

I think Maurice has realized that in order for this team to win, they need to play tight defensively. I don't think he's a D first coach tho, I think the way the roster is shaped up and the division we are in, defense is important. Maurice recognizes this, His carolina team wasn't exactly d first, I think Maurice just uses the players he has and puts them in the best position possible to win, Wasn't D first in Toronto either. The Jets have a strong defensive team really, Very strong D players. 

Noel was fine for what he was, he had a long history of being able to work with younger players and make them succeed, Kane did have his best year under Noel, Let's not forget that. So did Burmistrov for that matter, the best years of their careers were under Noel. 

I think Maurice has realized that in order for this team to win, they need to play tight defensively. I don't think he's a D first coach tho, I think the way the roster is shaped up and the division we are in, defense is important. Maurice recognizes this, His carolina team wasn't exactly d first, I think Maurice just uses the players he has and puts them in the best position possible to win, Wasn't D first in Toronto either. The Jets have a strong defensive team really, Very strong D players. 

Noel was fine for what he was, he had a long history of being able to work with younger players and make them succeed, Kane did have his best year under Noel, Let's not forget that. So did Burmistrov for that matter, the best years of their careers were under Noel. 

Thats what im saying. Maurice has put in a system that allows his players to succeed wheres as Noels system was to teach players where to go. Maurice has said himself he watched the Jets before becoming HC and said putting in a D system then using the size skill and speed you may have a pretty good team here.

I never ment Maurice was a D first coach i just ment thats the system he went with for this team and players. He allows his players with skill to do what they do as long as they understand that there is a system of D you need to follow first. Once you gain control of the puck the its off to the races.

It is not a coincidence that as soon as Kane returned to the lineup the Jets starting winning and being in every game. He is a dynamic player who plays his ass off game in and game out who always creates chances when he is on the ice.. He has grown up a lot this year and it is evident in his play and how he is handling himself off the ice in his interviews you can tell he has grown up.

No way the Jets trade him unless it is a deal that is too good to pass up.

Sad news about Dupuis out of Pittsburgh.  They're in the market for a replacement.  Wouldn't Buff look great on their wing?

Nope, he looks pretty good here on the wing. Just a little snake bitten but he's been dominating at times. 

i agree.  Though I am a proponent of trading him.  But as a huge Pens fan, I'd love to see him there.

Pens would have to give up lots to get him, they are pretty tight against the cap and i'm not convinced he would agree to go to Pittsburgh anyway. Just get the feeling with Buff that playing close to home is something he really enjoys. Every time i see buff outside of the rink (not often mind you), or i see him at the rink, he is having himself a damn good time. I dunno why but i think he is a pretty important piece on this team. Jets themselves are fighting for a play-off spot right now, I don't really see them moving players to be honest, i could see them adding players tho if they are still in it closer to the deadline. I don't really see them getting rid of any right now tho. 

Pens would have to give up lots to get him, they are pretty tight against the cap and i'm not convinced he would agree to go to Pittsburgh anyway. Just get the feeling with Buff that playing close to home is something he really enjoys. Every time i see buff outside of the rink (not often mind you), or i see him at the rink, he is having himself a damn good time. I dunno why but i think he is a pretty important piece on this team. Jets themselves are fighting for a play-off spot right now, I don't really see them moving players to be honest, i could see them adding players tho if they are still in it closer to the deadline. I don't really see them getting rid of any right now tho. 

I cant really disagree with anything you've said.  Its hard to determine if he's a big positive piece of the Jets or if hes a bit of a negative.  We've talked lots about how the team played in the past and the attitude that came from Atlanta.  Buff is a guy that is always jovial.  Is that good or bad?  Who knows.  But I see him as a player that doesnt give 100% every single game.  But he's the most unique player in the league.

My main point for trading him is the law of diminishing returns.  By the time the Jets truly compete, Buff probably isnt helping them that much and by then his trade value is gone.  Trading him high reloads us for when we need it.  Maybe. 

Pens have over $4 million in cap space, not sure if that accounts for Pascal on LTIR.  Assuming some pieces came back, they'd be fine.  I'd like to start with Bennett and Bortuzzo, two young players going into RFA without a lot of leverage, perfect for the Jets.  Ofcourse I'd like Olli Maatta too as he's got a year left on his deal but cant see the Pens trading him this year (maybe next if they cant resign him).