Scrap divisions?

Scrap divisions?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Scrap divisions?

• Yes, have the top 6 teams make the playoffs
    • No, but have a double crossover
    • No, leave as is

Too drastic of a reaction to a freak occurrence.  When the best 6 teams in the league by record don't make the playoffs under this format twice, then it's time to talk about changing the format.  We don't even know if that will end up happening in this season yet.

Ok Juran - name me a sport that does? In Basketball the teams in the west are better. In the NFL - every year, there's usually one or two teams better than a wild card from the other league (AFC or NFC). In Hockey, West is much better than the east in the lower half and even mid-tier teams. It is what it is. Even in Baseball it's bad - so bad they adopted a 1 game playoff for four more teams (look at the Blue Jays Division where Boston/New York dominated for years - and look at what happened to the interest in the Jays). 

Just because we are not fans of Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa doesn't mean we can close our eyes. These fans need a 'chance' and right now, despite all their injuries and struggles, all the Eastern teams are in it. If were an Al's fan for example, and it was a one division league, I'd already be saving my money for what Hab games I could attend. Think I'd go see the Al's play? Not a chance.

Leave it as it is - and I'd go one step further and eliminate the cross over - as if you want to know/understand why Ottawa 'started' failing (horrible owners were the final nail(s) for sure) it's because when they went to the cross over - no chance. This year you know it's second place race already and that's pathetic as it is. 

Might want to read what I wrote again....

:wub:

I liked one proposal I read elsewhere, Keep Divisions but and the top team from each division makes the playoffs and then after that it is the best 4 teams from the remainder that make it in. Than these 2 teams get the bye and the rest 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. 1 plays winner of 4-5 and 2 plays winner of 3-6.

Hmm.. Keep the divisions as is for now, It's just one season so far really...but...

I do like the idea of Keeping the Divisions, the first place teams get a bye to the Semis.. so Lets say Calgary and Toronto right now

So week 1 playoffs would see Team 3 (Edmonton) vs Team 6 (BC) and Team 4 (Sask) vs Team 5 (Winnipeg)

The team who finished first overall in the league (Calgary) Plays Either BC or the Winner of the SASK/Wpg game since the first place team should play the lower ranked team..

So Lets say Edmonton Beats BC, WPG beats SASK..

Semis would be Calgary vs Wpg and Toronto vs Edmonton

1st place team definitely needs to face the lowest ranked team still available, In other words, IF BC were to beat Edmonton, Calgary  faces BC

Toronto would face the winner of the SASK/WPG game

Winners meet in Final

East vs West doesn't mean much when the West will more than likely roll right over them, Kind of brutal to think that a division with 4 teams, 3 of which have 1 win, Well, one of those teams are making the playoffs and it's likely a team who finishes .500 in the west... They aren't. Pretty weak really.