KHL Salary Cap Going Down

Rich

Found these tweets interesting, the first being that the KHL salary cap is going down, this is good for the future of retaining NHL players.  The 2nd is that Burmistrov's salary is exempt because he is considered valuable to the league!  Wonder what their criteria is for exemptions, is a player per team or something else.

Found these tweets interesting, the first being that the KHL salary cap is going down, this is good for the future of retaining NHL players.  The 2nd is that Burmistrov's salary is exempt because he is considered valuable to the league!  Wonder what their criteria is for exemptions, is a player per team or something else.

#KHL's salary cap for next season set at $32 mln, down from $40 mln, but there're 4 players whose salaries won't count against the cap (1/2)

— Igor Eronko (@IgorEronko)

July 15, 2014

Those are: Kovalchuk, Radulov, S.Kostitsyn and Burmistrov. They'll be exceptions as a 'particularly valuable' for the league (2/2)

— Igor Eronko (@IgorEronko)

July 15, 2014

I would think the criteria is "Could be playing in the NHL but chose to come here and are Russian" Or close enough to Russian in Kostitsyns case.

Never understood why any Canadian, American & Euro other than a Russian would want to play in the KHL. I guess the $$ are still too good to pass up.

There are a lot of players who are skilled enough but lack a certain element to translate that to the NHL, if they want to continue to play hockey the KHL pays the best. Usually it's the guys with hands but no speed that end up there. Of course there is competition, a lot of north americans like to play in the swiss league because the lifestyle is superior but if they're looking to be paid the best I think the KHL is where it's at. 

To me it looks kind of bush league that there's exempts because their considered valuable to the league. I'm thinking to myself what if the CFL had a down year and the salary cap had to go down and Ray, Burris, Durrant, and Cornish were exempt from the salary cap not only would this look bad, but it would piss me off seeing someone from another team getting to keep their star player without having to worry about the salary cap.

To me it looks kind of bush league that there's exempts because their considered valuable to the league. I'm thinking to myself what if the CFL had a down year and the salary cap had to go down and Ray, Burris, Durrant, and Cornish were exempt from the salary cap not only would this look bad, but it would piss me off seeing someone from another team getting to keep their star player without having to worry about the salary cap.

Uh, no. It was back in the early 90's when the CFL had money troubles & the days of the million dollar "personal services contract" came to an end. That was how some teams got around a very loosey goosey cap in those days which was set at 1.9 million. Guys like Flutie would sign a CFL standard contract for $150,000  & then get paid a personal services contract for $850,000 by the owner of the team (Ryckman).