Pens: Shero Fired, Brisson In?

Sure the Predators lacked goal scoring, but that team wasn't exactly filled with offensive firepower... a defensive clean-up is exactly what the Penguins need. Trotz would be perfect in my mind.

Trotz also likely comes with the former Nashville goalie coach and the preds in addition to being a defense factory also churned out goalies like no ones business so maybe he could have gotten Fleury to be more consistent. Somewhere along the way Trotz has picked up the reputation that he can't coach offensive players, not sure why or how but it's ridiculous. That man is a great coach. You don't stay in one place as long as he did without being one. 

Another piece of speculation I heard was that Shero didn't want to fire Bylsma so they fired him instead. Who knows.

I always thought Crosby and Dan were tight. You hear of the country club atmosphere and the "system" being whatever the stats want. Though supposedly Mario ran the locker room a similar way where practice was never hard. The difference might be that Mario was the most talented player of all time and made everyone better. Did isn't tnere yet. Point being, is this showing more influence from sid on ten team?

On the other hand speculation is there was an impasse between sid and dan. Who knows. It seems clear Crosby is frustrated at the expectation he has to be the set up guy, the goal scorer, the defensive player etc. I don't blame him. And I like dan. But five years in a row you have no answer? That's on the coach. There's going down swinging and then there's just going down.

• 3 weeks later...

They should hire Torts!! LOL

I think Torturella (Torts) is gonna have to sit at least one year out. He's being paid handsomnly as he sucked Vancouver into a 5 yr x 2 million/yr contract guarantee. Still has 8 million (or settlement value) left on his deal.

Prolly does what Torts does best - talk hockey on either TSN or Sportsnet panels.

Actually, I think he'd be a decent color commentator with the right pbp man (ie. NOT COLE)

Jim Rutherford is the new GM.  Dan Bylsma has been fired.

NHL Old Boys Club working here.

Not at all. He said at his press conference that he'll only be there for two or three years at most. He's basically there to mentor Jason Botterill until he's ready for the job. Botterill is only 38.

Bylsma is a good choice. I think the problem with the pens is all about personnel. They don't have the depth or grit.

I don't know enough about Rutherford. I've heard good and bad. But this idea of mentorship might be a trend. Rumour has it pens are in on Brodeaur to mentor fleury.

Any team that hires Tortz is stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Willie Desjardins will be the Pens new coach. From what I've read & heard about him he seems like a good choice. More than likely he'll have Tocchet as one of his asst coaches

Desjardins will not be the coach of the Pens, Looks like he is now going to be the coach of the canucks. These  things seem to change on a daily basis.