CFL Draft - May 13

Mr Dee

According to Drew Edwards,

"the CFL has setlled on May 13 as the date for their 2014 version. It's three days after the NFL's and that's not a coincidence." 

Ridley Scouting reports - Two previous draft picks - Bo Lokombo (BC Lions pick) and Brent Urban (Hamilton pick) will join John Urschel and TJ JOnes at the NFL Combine   ----AND---

* Waiting on the announcement of a CFL trade involving Anton MacKenzie. Suspect draft picks to be involved

Re-cap - Bomber Picks 2014:  

Round 1 - 2nd

Round 2 - none (traded in the Alex Hall move)

Round 3 - 2nd - 20th overall,  8th - 26th overall (via Calgary via Hamilton)

Round 4 - 2nd - 29th overall

Round 5 - no pick (to Toronto)

Round 6 - 2nd and 3rd 47th and 48th overall (via Edmonton)

Round 7 - 2nd 56th overall

7 picks altogether 

Top Prospects:

1 (1) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OL McGill

2 (4) Pierre Lavertu OL Laval

3 (3) David Foucault OL Montreal

4 (2) Devon Bailey WR St. Francis Xavier

5 (15) Matthias Goosen OL Simon Fraser

6 (--) Evan Gill DL Manitoba

7 (6) Beau Landry LB Western

8 (8) Andrew Lue DB Queen's

9 (--) Anthony Coombs RB Manitoba

10 (7) Max Caron LB Concordia

11 (12) Casey Chin LB Simon Fraser

12 (9) Sam Sabourin LB Queen's

13 (5) Adam Thibault DB Laval

14 (10) Derek Wiggan DL Queen's

15 (--) Dylan Ainsworth DL Western

* number in brackets is the previous ranking.

It's a shame we gave up our 2nd, but at least we got more value out of it than the Riders did IMO.

I'll hold out on judgment on that one.  Riders got two Canadians including their punter and a good special teamer.  We got a guy who may or may not ever start for us, and certainly won't be chasing down kicks on special teams.

What's the deal with Anton MCKenzie trade?

Lowell Ulrich from the Province wrote:

The arrival of Jamall Johnson last week was certain to have an adverse effect on another popular member of the Lions, and it won’t be long before Anton McKenzie joins Korey Banks and Nick Moore as former regulars on the CFL club.

A league source Thursday said a deal is in the works which will result in the 33-year-old linebacker being traded, believed to be a team in the East Division. McKenzie has been nothing but a perfect soldier during his five seasons with the Lions, and as a result the club was of a mind to try and place him elsewhere, plus gain an asset of course, rather than simply releasing a veteran, which has been part of Wally Buono’s playbook for most of his Lions stay.

McKenzie’s best season statistically was his first with the Lions, when he had 89 tackles, but has been a mainstay in the locker room for reasons far beyond his ability to call defensive signals. The deal is expected to be completed by the end of the week.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/02/20/mckenzie-trade-by-lions-in-works/

Trades are made with the idea that with each trade, comes a benefit for each team involved.

Hopefully each team's fan base can see the benefit for their particular team.

If it doesn't make sense to other team's fan base, well, who cares, right?

It gives us something to rip apart on the other team.

Well, not always. 

Sometimes we rip apart our own team…

No way Benevides is behind all these moves. This is all Wally. He's cutthroat. That innocent little Paisano smile he has belies a man who has hidden ice veins when dealing with players & coaches after he no longer feels they can win for him. Seen this before in Calgary. Surprised it took him so long.

No way Benevides is behind all these moves. This is all Wally. He's cutthroat. That innocent little Paisano smile he has belies a man who has hidden ice veins when dealing with players & coaches after he no longer feels they can win for him. Seen this before in Calgary. Surprised it took him so long.

You do know what paisano means right? You're basically calling Wally your buddy.

Also, I'm with Atomic. Not sure that Alex Hall + 2nd round trade was worth it.

I'm going to wait to see where Neufeld fits in and how he performs before judging the trade. We weren't getting Hall back anyways, so he just helped facilitate the trade. As long as Neufeld is at a worst case our 6th OL this season, I'm happy with the trade.

I must say though, after watching video of last years Bomber games, our OL isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

You do know what paisano means right? You're basically calling Wally your buddy.

Also, I'm with Atomic. Not sure that Alex Hall + 2nd round trade was worth it.

He could be my buddy. I'm not in the CFL so he can't fire me.  ;)

Ridley Scouting reports:

Another CFL Trade dealing with Draft Picks - Calgary and Montreal have swapped 5th round picks with conditional picks in 2015

Interesting:

The CJFL has voted to increase the age from 21 to 24, it may lead to a split in the CJFL.

In response the BCFC has voted to allow for 5 overage players per team. 

Lots of interesting discussion will occur at the CJFL Annual General Meeting in April.