Hank Burris Agent on CHQR Radio In Calgary Now.

iso_55

Giddings... about Burris, his family & Ottawa. Excited about the Ottawa opportunity. Proud to be part of the "Henry Burris Team". He said Hamilton are good guys. That Hank had a good relationship with Austin. But differing opinion on value for Hank. He said, no villains or bad guys. Turned out right way in the end.

Giddings said more teas than just Winnipeg were interested. People asked wrong questions... The real question was whether Hank can make a CFL team better. Not at who needs a starting qb. The CFL is now in different situation than ever before because the salary cap is potentially going up. Teams now able to carry two starting qbs salary wise. Ottawa was aggressive. Mentioned RedBlacks owner Brock Sunderland big part of process. It's a 3 year deal. Hank was comfortable with RedBlack ownership group. Well funded owners. Different expansion draft rules allowed Ottawa to get better players, new stadium, great coaching staff allmade Ottawa appealing. Hank closer for his family from the States to come up to watch him play. And Hank liked the idea of being the first ever starting qb for the RBs. Hank respects the players already signed & chosen in the draft.

Giddings called the SMS a "brave new world". He said some GMs are looking at upcoming negotiations as the cap going up... Starting to negotiate that way. Some GMs have a vision for that & others aren't. That they'll deal with it when it happens. Didn't mention that Winnipeg had that mindset but makes you wonder. Giddings said that there will be a logistical problem "dropping the money to the teams" for a dramatic rise in the SMS for 2014. Giddings thinks that this season the SMS cap may go up marginally because of those logistics but in 2015 could go up to $5 million. Talked about player safety. Concussion protocols. Roster size, ratio rules. etc. Giddings wants the rules changed allowing Canadian qbs. Bring back the NFL window. Hurts recruiting....

Winnipeg was never even discussed in the interview.

Teams now able to carry two starting qbs salary wise.

What will eventually happen is that the Marquee QB's will make way more than any other player and you'll be back to one starter per team. It's always been this way, salary cap or no.

Even with that smoke screen,.I doubt Ottawa will.have 2 starters on their roster for long unless DeMarco is considered one too? Glenn will be cut or traded at some point.due to injury or SMS

Some interesting comments by Hank's agent. I think Hank's contract will be the norm in a year or two. It might even be a bargain by then. 

in a year or two Hank will be 40+ years old not sure a guy that old who relies on his athleticism will ever be a bargain at that price. 

Selanne's still kickin'!!!

The norm in the sense that it will be the standard for starting qbs in the CFL. Not just Burris. 

I'm not sure about that. If it was a different GM who gave this contract (ie Buono, Hufnagel, Barker) then I would be inclined to agree. 

Jacquie, the salary cap is going to go up. If it goes up to $5 million it stands to reason that the contracts for qbs will be substantially more. And that teams will carry more than just one qb capable of starting. I heard that entire interview. Hank's agent called the new tv contract "A brave new world". And he said that some GMs see it coming & are preparing while others are not. This is a player agent talking, a guy whose clients include Burris & Ricky Ray. Not some fan talking out of his hat. He knows what will be happening. You can listen to the entire interview on CHQR in their audio vault. Just check the date & time I started this thread as the interview was just about to begin. Jacquie listen for yourself & decide. Matter of fact, I'd encourage everyone to listen. Just remember the time difference. 

The norm in the sense that it will be the standard for starting qbs in the CFL. Not just Burris. 

I'm not sure about that. If it was a different GM who gave this contract (ie Buono, Hufnagel, Barker) then I would be inclined to agree. 

Jacquie, the salary cap is going to go up. If it goes up to $5 million it stands to reason that the contracts for qbs will be substantially more. And that teams will carry more than just one qb capable of starting. I heard that entire interview. Hank's agent called the new tv contract "A brave new world". And he said that some GMs see it coming & are preparing while others are not. This is a player agent talking, a guy whose clients include Burris & Ricky Ray. Not some fan talking out of his hat. He knows what will be happening. You can listen to the entire interview on CHQR in their audio vault. Just check the date & time I started this thread as the interview was just about to begin. Jacquie listen for yourself & decide. Matter of fact, I'd encourage everyone to listen. Just remember the time difference. 

Dude, in the NFL contracts are outlandish, and most of the time even THEY don't have a QB2 capable of starting unless it's a vet most of the time.  I think our QB1's money will go up, but QB2 won't go up as much and no one is going to have any better QB2 then they have now.

I'm not saying QB salaries won't rise. I'm just not sold that Burris' contract has set some new standard given Desjardin has a history of paying stupid amounts of money on a QB. Printers' contract certain didn't set some new standard so I'm taking a wait and see approach on how much Burris' contract will. 

He's still talking out of his ass. There aren't enough qbs in the CFL for teams to carry 2 guys who can start. You know what will happen with more cap room? All contracts will rise, yeah backup qbs will be paid more... but the gap between starting and backup qbs will still be there cause when teams have such issues finding guys who can play a backup on one team will get starting money on another. All you do is shift the current CFL payscale up for everyone and a new equilibrium is reached with things being structured the same. 

He's still talking out of his ass. There aren't enough qbs in the CFL for teams to carry 2 guys who can start. You know what will happen with more cap room? All contracts will rise, yeah backup qbs will be paid more... but the gap between starting and backup qbs will still be there cause when teams have such issues finding guys who can play a backup on one team will get starting money on another. All you do is shift the current CFL payscale up for everyone and a new equilibrium is reached with things being structured the same. 

At least you listened to the interview & can form your own opinion. Which is fine. 

nah I didn't even listen to the interview I just know what the situation is in the CFL with regards to the number of quality qbs and what happens everywhere else in sports when a salary cap rises. Agents really don't care about the big picture, all that matters to them is how much do my clients peers get paid and how much can my client get paid.

well come on, the cap going up doesn't mean that teams can afford 2 starting qbs on their rosters, it just means that when bidding for free agents teams will pay more for the players they really want and it will inflate all salaries. Not going to have teams carrying 2 starting qbs because some other team will always need a starter and will be able to pay more for that 2nd starter on another team than the team he is with. It's just common sense.