What happens if it was just Crowton's offence or the remnant of it?

IC Khari

Just thought the other day ...

- Yes we were sucking and lost 15 games in the regular season.

- Yes we don't have the depth or talent we should have.

- And ... yes we had some terrible QB play at times ... BUT ...

How much was our offence, our team in effect, handcuffed with that horrible scheme instituted in 2012? Max Hall showed some spurts with a revamped and closer to CFL scheme (even though it was impossible to change everything during the season) and no I'm not saying he should be the starter, but still, I think it's a legit question. How bad did Crowton's playbook screw our team. Were we truely as bad as our record? Lousy coaching and a stand pat GM played a big part too obviously. I still ask though, are/were we as untalented as our record suggested? It will be interesting to see how some of these guys respond to a real CFL playbook from day one. It will also be interesting to see who we keep to implement that. 

Q: How bad did Crowton's offence screw your team?

A: Bad. A good coordinator can scheme to paper-over some of the roster shortcomings that a team may have (and you had several major deficiencies on the offence alone). Crowton seemed to be oblivious to this and ran a system that tried to play to strengths which you didn't have. Any of you guys would have built your offence off of a ground attack and had checkdown options on everything to compensate for a line that didn't do pass-protection all that well, right? Of course you would've. So would've any OC worth the powder to blow himself up with. Not Crowton... And Burke's inability to recognize and overrule this as the HC was his greatest failing (and he had several) in that role.

Q: Were we truly as bad as our record?

A: Sorry, yes. That team was full value for a 3 win season. Worst QB situation. Worst NIs. An O-Line and defensive secondary that just weren't up to snuff. If Walters could've hit the cosmic reset button and traded rosters with any other team at the end of the season, he would've.

So with coaching and roster-talent both being suspect (to be kind), it can only get better. And i believe it will. O'Shea will have them playing their best (or even a little better than their best... the whole-being-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts type thing). As well, Walters gives every indication of a guy who knows that he has to build through:

i) scouting US free agents

ii) the draft

iii) trades

iV) free agency

... not just option "i" like your last guy

I really want to see who they wind up hiring as offensive line coach. Never was impressed with the development of any of the offensive linemen they brought in here be they canadian or american. Now either Joe Mack had absolutely no clue what to look for in players at that position or the coaching was just so bad that even if there was talent there they didn't do anything with it. 

Crowton's offence and scout team analysis aside, let's not forget the fact we had no QB.

So, in terms of the perfect storm scenario, where you couldn't put events in a worse position, you had the season we had.

-Start with the hiring of a Head Coach, Tim Burke, who at least should have been interviewed. It was apparent to other teams that Burke was not ready, but for fear of losing him, he was extended.

-Because Burke was a fledgling HC, who actually thought Crowton could learn the CFL, he retained and listened to the musings of an American football mind.

-Between Burke, Crowton and Mack, the 'Frankenstein" idea of developing an offence around Buck was born, and any experience behind him was purged.

-Then you factor in Bluto's 4-point factors of building a roster, and you get what Mack did….ignoring three of the four ways to do so.

-Training camp brought no answers, only more questions and Burke's idea of playing exhibition games was scary. (The one game with no veterans)

-Factor in, of course, Buck was going to get injured, and no experience behind him, and no experience in what to do by the coaches, and it wasn't only the pooches who got screwed.

I could go on about the Creehan factor and the deer-in-the-headlight style of offensive decisions, but you get the picture.

Yes, it will be better if only Crowton's being gone is considered, but it so much more than that.

*Oh, and did I mention that Burke was not a very good HC?

-Then you factor in Bluto's 4-point factors of building a roster, and you get what Mack did….ignoring three of the four ways to do so.

Mack did not ignore the draft. You may not agree with some of the choices he made but his record with the draft is as good as any other GM during the time he was here. 

Mack did not ignore the draft. You may not agree with some of the choices he made but his record with the draft is as good as any other GM during the time he was here. 

You're right of course, and when I was drafting the post, I told myself not to pick that particular item(# ii on the board)...( I was going to go off the board).

But in the end, I ignored my own advice.

I feel bad now.

Mack did not ignore the draft. You may not agree with some of the choices he made but his record with the draft is as good as any other GM during the time he was here

says you  :rolleyes:

Mack did not ignore the draft. You may not agree with some of the choices he made but his record with the draft is as good as any other GM during the time he was here

Says a lot of people. 

Says a lot of people. 

still an apologist...

ignored.

Says a lot of people. 

still an apologist...

ignored.

As others have said there are a lot of things to blame Mack for but that doesn't mean everything he did was bad.