Spring league and other none sense.

wbbfan

I couldn't be bothered to again necro the post about the XFL and if it's folded yet again, but with a bit of news coming out thought a new thread might be good. 

The XFL version 3.0 has signed a TV deal with disney/espn/abc. On the surface this seems like a huge win for them. But in further examination, It seems as though no money is going to the XFL for tv rights yet again. It seems like another in exchange for infrastructure and vested interest in the league. Oh, but it gets worse still. Every thing I've seen so far seems to say that the XFL v 3.0 will have most of their games played on the online platforms. With a few games possibly being aired on abc or the ocho. 

I know money isnt a concern for the owners of the XFL, but this model has failed all the fledgling leagues that have attempted it before. Its basically no risk high reward for the rights holders. 

Meanwhile the USFL TV ratings have been in pretty steady decline. They managed 2 decent ratings on 2 ideal team match ups but even at that the comparable games played earlier this season did much better on TV. How long can the USFL last with no sustained merch sales, tv income, or in stadium revenue? And will desperation possibly push them to the XFL v3.0s door for merger talks like they had with the CFL in the lost year. 

Right now the USFL is further a head in development than the XFL 3.0 despite the brain trust, money and recent history of the XFL. But with their trajectory it seems like they are just closer to death than the XFL. 

As an aside, probably an idea that would get no fan support, but I would actually love to see a canadian spring league. Some thing to act as a catch net for NI players who run out of CFL chances, or guys who don't get looks for various reasons. Maybe even like an arizona fall league set up with current league developmental guys and back ups playing a few games in the off season. I've always wished the league would get into running canadian based Free agent try out camps to drum up some extra prospects like in the us. 

Play in University towns, host games on line at TSN.ca and cfl.ca, involve league scouts and coaches, help drive the grass roots of football. 

I don't have cable, but if XFL games showed up on Disney+, I'd watch them. Get enough eyeballs and it could turn into a money deal. But I have no faith in any american spring league.

A Canadian spring league is simply laughable, I'm sorry. We have enough trouble finding eyeballs for the CFL, who would watch the misfits unable to hook onto the CFL? It would never get on TV. And it would never involve scouts or coaches because these are already the guys who proved they couldn't make it (also, this is one of the goals of the global initiative, so they'd get zero help from anyone). 

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't have cable, but if XFL games showed up on Disney+, I'd watch them. Get enough eyeballs and it could turn into a money deal. But I have no faith in any american spring league.

A Canadian spring league is simply laughable, I'm sorry. We have enough trouble finding eyeballs for the CFL, who would watch the misfits unable to hook onto the CFL? It would never get on TV. And it would never involve scouts or coaches because these are already the guys who proved they couldn't make it (also, this is one of the goals of the global initiative, so they'd get zero help from anyone). 

If disney + will have live games it could be good. Though I don't see a ton of over lap between people who get disney plus and the core demographic who will buy gear and go to games. If its games after they've been played I think it'll be dead in the water. The market for full length games after they've been played is about as good as day old egg salad that hasn't been in the fridge. 

I'm not saying for fans. It would be like what the NFL E ended up. Purely a cost for the league to recirculate and develop canadian talent. While also possibly allowing pro coaches and scouts to work with grass roots level team runners and coaches to develop them. 

You'd be surprised just how much pro coaches actually talk to grass roots guys and aid in development. Coaches clinics are a huge industry for pro coaches, and provide a tremendous resource for pro coaches to find new guys to get info from and eventually bring into low level roles across franchises. 

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If disney + will have live games it could be good. Though I don't see a ton of over lap between people who get disney plus and the core demographic who will buy gear and go to games. If its games after they've been played I think it'll be dead in the water. The market for full length games after they've been played is about as good as day old egg salad that hasn't been in the fridge. 

I'm not saying for fans. It would be like what the NFL E ended up. Purely a cost for the league to recirculate and develop canadian talent. While also possibly allowing pro coaches and scouts to work with grass roots level team runners and coaches to develop them. 

You'd be surprised just how much pro coaches actually talk to grass roots guys and aid in development. Coaches clinics are a huge industry for pro coaches, and provide a tremendous resource for pro coaches to find new guys to get info from and eventually bring into low level roles across franchises. 

I very much doubt it will be on Disney+, just saying I'd watch if it was. I will definitely not pay to watch any of these fake start up leagues, but might check it out if it was convenient. Also, keep in mind that Disney is not just cartoons, it's star wars, marvel, Fox (simpsons, family guy, etc). I watch Disney+, my kids watch Netflix.

I understand that coaches aid in development, the league you described sounded more guys who had flunked out (no more development to be had). Anyways, it would never happen for every reason imaginable. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I very much doubt it will be on Disney+, just saying I'd watch if it was. I will definitely not pay to watch any of these fake start up leagues, but might check it out if it was convenient. Also, keep in mind that Disney is not just cartoons, it's star wars, marvel, Fox (simpsons, family guy, etc). I watch Disney+, my kids watch Netflix.

I understand that coaches aid in development, the league you described sounded more guys who had flunked out (no more development to be had). Anyways, it would never happen for every reason imaginable. 

I know it does but people who sub for stuff like that and stay subbed are few and far between. 

that league has existed in Canada for basketball soccer and baseball since the 90s and some are just the worst quality. It exists in stock car racing and more too with out the top down sponsorship. 
 The idea of a catch net recirculating talent is not aimed at just one type of drop out. Some times flunk outs and guys who didn’t even get a chance to flunk out to from bagging groceries to nfl mvps or driving delivery trucks to grey cup mops. Walby was a failed dl and Cameron a failed qb. Talent and athleticism is far better now especially at the bottom end. 

I don't see the fit on D+. You're not going to draw fans into subbing to D+ to watch XFL games. Although I'm sure there is a lot of demographics that crossover with D+, it would make a ton more sense to put it on ESPN+. At least then, you're targeting sports fans, possibly adding value. Same amount of work and bandwidth regardless which streaming service they put it on. 

Unless they plan to merge the products, I don't see the fit. 

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wish they'd try to get the CFL on a major sports streaming service like Dazn. Expose the game worldwide. Develop a CFL video game. Look for different revenue sources. Why does our league not even try to think big or outside the box?? 

How do you know they're not trying?