"year of the catch" and PI rules.

wbbfan

Tsn and cfl.ca have been pushing this year of the catch thing. And it really seems to be true. Each week sees countless crazy high light level catches. Multiple catches in single games. Ive never seen this many amazing grabs in a single season. Not even close. 

It got me wondering, is the change to PI responsible? As much as any one i hate how ticky tack the pi rule has become.  Its not supposed to be touch football after all. But could it be that the room and less hindrance from DBs is causing the catch phenomenon? In the early 2ks we saw some wrs just mugged.  Play in and play out, vice coverage on a top wr meant the guy was gonna get roughed up pretty good. Do we now have some crazy surge of talent at wr league wide? 

The fact we arent seeing every wr and their dog on track for crazy huge numbers, and that a few guys have suddenly blossomed (sj greens having his best season, darvin adams since last year has become an elite wr talent) while others dropping off hard makes me think maybe it is the shift in rules. If it is even in part due to rules perhaps they need to be toned back but not returned to the old system of considerable interference with out an infraction.   

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The CFL is always cyclical. Defenses rise and offenses adjust and defenses have to change again. 

Yeah and I think that was a factor that was ignored when making the rule changes.  The offences would have caught back up anyways, but the league panicked and changed the rules to make receivers nigh untouchable.  Now it's shoot-the-lights-out offence almost every game.  But I can't say I haven't enjoyed it.