Nichols vs Glenn

wbbfan

2 hours ago, LimJahey said:

i'm just trying to make a point that if your defense can create enough turnovers or force enough 2 and outs, our special teams can create field position and our offence doesn't need to be elite.

Cant compare the nfl and cfl like that Though. That style hasnt won a title in idk how long in the cfl. 

2 hours ago, Tehedra said:

I do have a couple of points I would like to add, if we are saying the interception number is lucky because of DB drops or penalty calls then we have to consider the drops by our guys that hit their hands even if the throw was errenuous.  It isn't like when a DB almost intercepts a ball it is in a perfect throw to them.  Now the other reason I state this is because, do we analyze every caught pass by those Quarterbacks who are apparently elite?  I'm pretty sure Carter laid it out a couple times in the Montreal game to catch what we would consider uncatchable balls.  I remember Holley made at least two of those catches in a game against us.  I don't believe that Nichols threw the ball to the wrong side on the Dressler drop, sure Dressler looked left and then had to adjust to go right but I think it's the job of the Quarterback to throw the ball to the opposite side of the defender.  I believe the ball was well placed had Dressler recognized the coverage on the left sooner and made the adjustment to catch the ball on the right he would have had the catch.  This is just experience with a Quarterback I actually appreciate that Nichols has that forethought to control the ball in that way.  I also believe that the Sheppard drop was straight up a drop, he almost had no one on him he barely had to stretch out for that ball he pulled it in and it bounced off his chest and to the ground.  If Sheppard squeezed that ball it would be a sure catch. 

Now given those examples, I still am not saying that Nichols is an elite quarterback.  I guess I am more questioning what does an elite quarterback make?  Quarterbacks with receivers that catch the uncatchable ball are considered more elite because of their elite receivers.  I would say if we are talking about accuracy, Nichols accuracy in my opinion hasn't been that terrible.  Yes he has thrown the ball slightly behind or slightly ahead but I feel it has been much more accurate than what we had with Willy, although I do believe Willy corrects that and gets back to his former self.  I would say that Nichols accuracy though when compared to that of others in the league is about similar. 

I also remember a game where our offense would have scored touch down or had a very good drive going ad our running back fumbled the ball.  It is sometimes on the Quarterback for those fumbles but it can't always be.  We can't blame those drives that didn't score a TD on the quarterback and they do of course take away his numbers.  That is why they look at the Quarterback rating and have measureables because so much of a drive depends on those outside the quarterback position.  Nichols job is to take what they give him without turning over the ball.  The receivers jobs are to capitalize on a ball thrown their way.  The defenders job are to stop the other team from scoring in any way possible and create good field position.  It's a team game and right now the team is playing at a level that is allowing us to win games.

Can we keep this up against the "elite" teams? Well we have already beat Edmonton once and I am sure we can do it again at home.  I'm not afraid of Calgary as much this year as I have been in past years.  BC to me is really the unknown but I want to play a wait and see approach.  In reality we don't have to beat each team more than once. If we win the next two games we go to the play offs; we can lose our games against BC and Calgary and only need to beat them in the play offs to win.  Just like we can win all the rest of the games and lose in the play offs and be done. 

Something that stands out to me in the recent games is actually not only how Nichols is managing the game and the ball but how Mike O'Shea is managing the game.  He seems to be doing a much better job with his challenges, as well as his calls when it involves risks on 3rd downs.  I believe our team is just short of that star receiver that can be our go to guy when things break down.  Once we have that I feel we will be contenders and hope that it even carries into the future with the team that Walters has built.

If a wr dives, lays out and just touches the ball its not a drop. Its easy to say if a wr touches it they should catch it. But a qb throwing wide or behind or leading the target into dense traffic will allways lead to plays that should have been hooked up that are not. Weve had a lot of that. Sure weve had drops too. But every game nichols had one where the defender should have caught it even by defender standards and muffed it. 

Nichols said after the game he threw to the wrong route. Dressler clearly ran different pattern and was expecting the ball out side, which is where you would want to put it on that play where its caught or in complete. So no. 

23 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If a wr dives, lays out and just touches the ball its not a drop. Its easy to say if a wr touches it they should catch it. But a qb throwing wide or behind or leading the target into dense traffic will allways lead to plays that should have been hooked up that are not. Weve had a lot of that. Sure weve had drops too. But every game nichols had one where the defender should have caught it even by defender standards and muffed it. 

watch the replay... that's not what happened... the ball was firmly in his hands after he reaches forward... that one is completely on Sheppard... that is the one you're talking about, right?

EDIT: apparently replays of drops are hard to find... I couldn't find this one, it's not even in the 6 min CFL.ca recap....

Edited by bearpants

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

watch the replay... that's not what happened... the ball was firmly in his hands after he reaches forward... that one is completely on Sheppard... that is the one you're talking about, right?

EDIT: apparently replays of drops are hard to find... I couldn't find this one, it's not even in the 6 min CFL.ca recap....

I agree it depends like I said the Dressler one okay lets not count that one; but Sheppard's was clearly a drop even when they showed the replays it hit him in the mits he wasn't stretched out or "laid" out to make that catch. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I mean in general though with more reference to the dressler play. The sheppard play was a drop out right. yeah pretty much have to go to the game on YT, go through and find the exact moment and link the minute it happened. Its a hue PITA. Nichols tends to lead his passes over the middle / away which makes for more diving efforts from wrs. If we opened up the play book a bit, used the hurry up more, and made better use of progression plays it would help nichols and our wrs a lot more. 

2 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

If you can touch it, you can catch it.

Well not really, but that's what my dad always says.

Thats the old saying, but yeah. Thats from an era when guys werent crazy athletes for the most part and you didnt dive soo far and have a crazy reach. Athletes in football today are good enough to some times make them self look kinda bad by nearly making a crazy play. Kinda like how middle infielders in baseball with the highest range factor create more errors then a guy with shorter range would because they can get to a ball to touch it but not catch it or catch it with out time to throw.