XFL 15th Anniversary

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Was more a fan of the USFL.

Still boggles the mind that the NFL does not have its own minor league.

You mean calling players up or sending them down like the AHL for hockey? Players have to learn systems & terminology which takes months. About the only thing a called up player could do is either go on the PR or play ST until they understand systems & where they fit in.

A true minor league just wouldn't work. The CFL kind of acts like a developmental league for the NFL now as players not under contract to CFL teams can try out with teams down south. However, they don't leave mid season.

The other thing is limited rosters. Say there was a farm league & a team had a left tackle that was having an outstanding season how would the team replace him if he was called up? You'll never see players being called up to the NFL from any league mid season so IMO there'll never be an NFL farm or minor league.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Peeps like football?

Frosty, as I said I don't believe you'll ever see a minor league associated with the NFL. Maybe a developmental league like NFL Europa was but never a league like the AHL is for the NHL. To do it properly costs a lot of money though & I don't think the NFL wants to spend that right kind of $$$ right now. 

Edited by iso_55

NFLE was a developmental league funded by the NFL. Players could play in the spring & come over & sign with an NFL team. It also was meant to grow the 4 down game in Europe as there were teams in Germany, Spain, England & Scotland. It just proved to be so expensive to operate that the NFL shut it down.

I remember watching a few XFL games, definitely remember the opening game. 

XFL was a decent idea i guess, but it proves that Americans don't really care for any other leagues outside of the NFL and NCAA. CFL seems to be gaining some ground there tho but CFL is also a league that will never have another team in the states. 

A few of the XFL's ideas are now seen in the NFL, the most obvious one being the camera above the stadium on the ropes there... XFL did it first.