Game 33 : Jets @ spOilers

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

We do have $30M in cap space next year but that is with Ladd, Scheifele, Armia, Halischuk, Buff, Trouba, Pardy, and Hutch off the books.

Have to remember if we sign Ladd to $6M per season, that is only an extra $1.5M cap hit because he already eats up $4.5M, not like you have to add the whole 6 in.

For arguments sake, lets say we sign all those guys (pure guesses on Schefele and Trouba - their contract really depends on length) .... so Ladd $6M, Scheifele $4M, Armia $1.5M, Halischuk $1M, Buff $8M, Trouba $3.5M, Pardy $1M, Hutch $2M would be $27M and put us pretty close to the cap.

That makes sense.  Yeah we only add the raises to this years total but if we start at $30m lower, then add the whole thing in for next season.

They need to clear one top end salary I think.  Even if they want to keep everyone, one top end salary needs to go.  The easiest targets are Ladd & Buff.  Enstrom is a potential if the rumors they were shopping him are true.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think last season was their attempt to go for it.  They saw they could make the playoffs and had talent.  Once in the playoffs, anything can happen.  I think management thought they were better than they were.  Everyone predicted the Jets would beat the Ducks.

They brought in some veteran depth and went for it.  Now they are at a cross roads.  If Ladd and Buff had another season under contract, so be it.  But they dont.  What does re-signing Ladd and Buff give you?  There is no way the Jets are going to be a cap team UNLESS they have a reasonable expectation of Playoff success.  Because going a couple of rounds at least provides the income needed to off-set being a cap team.

Chipman said they would not be a cap team unless they saw an opportunity to truly compete and then they would go for it.  Is there anything about this team that makes them a "go for it" proposition?  Its why the kept Frolik and risked losing him for nothing last year because they were all in.

They wont make that same gamble this year.  So it comes down to a matter of what does paying Ladd & Buff do for you?  Does it allow you to compete for a playoff spot that you can win?  Maybe.  But it really hasnt yet.

If you cant win with Ladd & Buff, then dont bother.  Why be the 17th best team when you can recoup assets and be the 25th best team, assemble more assets and take a run at the right time?

Jets either believe they have a chance or they know they dont.  And thats the same answer to the question of signing Ladd & Buff.

Continuing the devil's advocate theme here, my only response would be: how the hell do you know when the "right" time is?  If now isn't the time (agree with you) then how far away are we?

Not expecting an answer from fans, but management better sure as **** have a good idea.  Again, point being is we've won 0 playoff games in 4 seasons - looks like it'll be 5 seasons. And if we're only asking for prospects and picks in potential Ladd/Buff trades, than we're probably into season 6 or 7 before we're a "contender".

Maybe it's just me, but I'm still not convinced a long term deal (even with bum years at the end) is worse than losing core players for unproven commodities. We fans get so consumed with the 4th, 5th or 6th year of Ladd/Byfuglien's contract....shoot, I just don't want us in the bottom 5 in the league for the each of the next 3 years.

We are okay for the immediate future but there are a LOT of players that will want more money and they all won't get....at least, not from the Jets.

I'd much rather see money from Ladd go to re-signing Perreault and he won't sign for 3m. He's on pace for a 60+ point season.

Well I think you just sort of know.  Hindsight being 20/20 last year wasnt the right time...being swept in round one.  On the other hand, they did guess correctly that it was the right time to make the playoffs and try.  Maybe if we dont make the Kane trade, bring in Tlusty and Stemp we dont even make the playoffs.  They knew they had the chance.

That time comes when you have been together as a core for 5 6 seasons now and the best you do is make the playoffs once. Getting another 10 to 15 pick ain't gonna help. We need a top 5... top 3 pick.  That will help more than signing Ladd or Buff to overpriced contracts. Jets will forever be a bubble team or playoff pretender with this core. They need a star and you get that by picking high. We need a top 3 pick badly. We need a star.  A face of the franchise. Austin Mathews type.