Quebec City set to unveil Videotron Centre

FrostyWinnipeg

No other thread really to put this in, other then Chipman & Co certainly bought in at the right time, and have increased their investment quite nicely.

No other thread really to put this in, other then Chipman & Co certainly bought in at the right time, and have increased their investment quite nicely.

Cost of Thrashers in 2011: $170 M US. NHL exp fee in 2015: $500 M US. Cdn $ in 2011: $1.05 US. In 2015: $0.75. Bottom line: Whew. #NHLJets

— randy turner (@randyturner15)

September 29, 2015

Wonder what the cost breakdown was for buying the team? 50/50 between him and Mr. Thompson?

Here's a look at the steepness of the upper deck.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Quebec-Arena-Inside.jpg

Hope there's no obstructed views :P

I always assumed David Thomson wrote a cheque for the cost of the team.  There were remarks by Chipman at the time that alluded to DT making contributions that without them would not have allowed the purchase price (or something to that affect).  Perhaps his "stake" in True North was $170m.

Big Show guys aired a piece by Bob Mackenzie pouring some cold water on Quebec expansion saying his "gut" was the NHL might only expand by one team and if so, Las Vegas was it.  We know TSN has been the voice for the NHL at times (the entire Bring Back the Jets thing), so what do we make of this?

Cost of Thrashers in 2011: $170 M US. NHL exp fee in 2015: $500 M US. Cdn $ in 2011: $1.05 US. In 2015: $0.75. Bottom line: Whew. #NHLJets

— randy turner (@randyturner15)

September 29, 2015

Wonder what the cost breakdown was for buying the team? 50/50 between him and Mr. Thompson?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Quebec-Arena-Inside.jpg

Is the cut out on the left side for a lounge/club seats?  That makes way more sense then ours being in the end zone area.

Is the cut out on the left side for a lounge/club seats?  That makes way more sense then ours being in the end zone area.

I think ours was in the end zone as a "carry over" from the old arena.  After the Moose took over the old Winnipeg Stadium, they renovated one of the ends to have a lounge area.  Then they seemed to replicate that in MTS Centre.

Also, with the smaller size of MTS Centre, you lose less prime seating by having it at the end.

Why on earth did they build it with a capacity of over 18,000?  I guess they didn't learn anything from the Jets.

Nor did the NHL if the talk about expanding to Las Vegas and not Quebec City is true.

18 is the average.

It was built for the future something that is unknown to citizens of this city.

500 million is the big question I think. How long will it take to make 500 million plus with the dollar as low as it is.. 500 million...

The investment in a sports team is mostly in its value, not yearly revenue.  You buy it for $500 Million, sell it for $750 million.  That and / or a vanity type thing for rich owners with more money then they know what to do with.

Here is a report where the bottom third of NHL teams don't even make a profit.  Even the Jets only turned $3.3M (which isn't a lot when you think about how much a player makes).  The Maple Leafs, Rangers, Canadian, etc of the NHL certainly bring in lots of money, but they are the exception.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/#page:1_sort:6_direction:asc_search: 

500 million is the big question I think. How long will it take to make 500 million plus with the dollar as low as it is.. 500 million...

The investment in a sports team is mostly in its value, not yearly revenue.  You buy it for $500 Million, sell it for $750 million.  That and / or a vanity type thing for rich owners with more money then they know what to do with.

Here is a report where the bottom third of NHL teams don't even make a profit.  Even the Jets only turned $3.3M (which isn't a lot when you think about how much a player makes).  The Maple Leafs, Rangers, Canadian, etc of the NHL certainly bring in lots of money, but they are the exception.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/#page:1_sort:6_direction:asc_search: 

The Jets at $3.3 million profit and how much has the dollar sunk?  There goes the profits.  But True North didnt buy the Jets to roll around in the yearly profits off the Jets.  Its everything else that comes along with it - increased revenue from MTSC, real estate developments, restaurant revenues etc.

I just think Quebec is a place that has already shown they will support a team, Like us, they make more sense as a possible relocation place. I don't know why, call it a gut feeling like Bob McKenzie said but... I think Quebec will be the future home of a relocated team like Arizona or Florida or maybe even Carolina. 

Not sure why, but... just think it makes more sense. 

Why on earth did they build it with a capacity of over 18,000?  I guess they didn't learn anything from the Jets.

Nor did the NHL if the talk about expanding to Las Vegas and not Quebec City is true.

18 is the average.

It was built for the future something that is unknown to citizens of this city.

I've been hearing for the last 5 years how the wave of the future is slightly smaller arenas/stadiums to keep demand high, just like Winnipeg has.

I'm not saying we did it on purpose - if they built the arena for an NHL team instead of an AHL team I'm sure it would have been around 18,000 people too.

I'm sure they'll sell out 18,000 for the foreseeable future too. But how many sellouts are the Senators getting these days in their massive arena in a city a level below the Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouvers?

MTSC is cramped as is.  COuldnt have been any larger.  And as it was, the city wouldnt let them build out over the road on the second level (stupid decision too).

Quebec makes tons of sense ofcourse.  But this being the NHL you never know what their end game is.  If there is a team in dire straights and a risk for relocation, they might want Quebec for the soft landing spot.  Winnipeg didnt get a team because the NHL loved the idea.  They got it because they played nice, did everything right, and allowed themselves be to used as leverage in PHX and a soft landing spot for Atlanta

Las Vegas and Quebec will both get teams, at this time Florida has deep pockets so will see how long they can take the loses. Arizona when moved will stay in the west maybe relocate to Seattle when and if they build an arena. Don't forget the cost of the team and relocation fee will be close to 500m.