Polar Bear Town

Floyd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last episode they showed a young man who came up to Barrow to be with his extended family but was ruled inelligible to play football because he had used up all of his eligibility while playing HS football in LA. I guess the kid had dropped out of school, had gang issues & his parents felt it would be best for him to go back to school but away from all the bad influences in his life in SoCal. He wrote a letter asking to be reinstated to play football because the game was so important to him. Anyway, from what I could see from the trailer for nest week his appeal was turned down.

I mention this because 6 years ago when my son was in his final year of HS football here in Calgary we had a player who had dropped out of HS in Regina a year before & came to Calgary to go into an alcohol & drug rehab program. My wife & I met him & his parents & he came from a good home. He ran with a bad crowd & got heavily into drugs & alcohol in grade 11 & even though he played his last year of HS in Regina, he dropped out when the season ended just before Xmas that year & was living on the streets.

He came to Calgary to  attend rehab & one of the things he had to do was attend school everyday  & get his diploma. He tried out for the HS football team but the Calgary Senior High School Athletic Association ruled him ineligible to play. He appealed with a letter explaining why he felt he should be allowed to play & how important football was to him & his recovery but the CSHSAA said no so he lost his appeal. Whether it was right or wrong, I don't know as there's 2 sides to every story but it was sad he wasn't allowed to play. He did go back to Regina after he graduated & played for the University of Regina Rams as starting slot for 4 years. I don't know where he is now but I hope he is doing well.