Jets captain Ladd sees reasons for optimism

It's really going to be a scenario where Ladd cashes in and it precludes Jets from resigning Buff. Considering they're friends I wonder if Ladd would take less to allow jets to sign others.

While the jets could afford it now, Trouba will need a raise next season. I'd rather sign trouba for 8 years then Buff for four.

I posted this on the Free Agency thread...

Here is what I think these 5 contracts should be negotiated for...

Ladd            Current 4.4m             2m more                           6.6 per for 6
Buff             Current 5.2                2.3m more                         7.5 per for 6
Trouba        Current .894m           5.7m more                        6.6 per for 8
Scheifele     Current .863             2.5m more                        3.333 per for 3
Lowry           Current.8282           2m more                             2.8 per for 3

This will add 14.5m per year to our cap and the team's payroll is at 40.5. so that will make it approximately 55m and leaves about 16m or so left. We could easily afford these pay raises. Of course there are players whose contracts will expire that season but we would still be under the cap.

Ladd            Current 4.4m             2m more                           6.6 per for 6

Buff             Current 5.2                2.3m more                         7.5 per for 6

Trouba        Current .894m           5.7m more                        6.6 per for 8

Scheifele     Current .863             2.5m more                        3.333 per for 3

Lowry           Current.8282           2m more                             2.8 per for 3

This will add 14.5m per year to our cap and the team's payroll is at 40.5. so that will make it approximately 55m and leaves about 16m or so left. We could easily afford these pay raises. Of course there are players whose contracts will expire that season but we would still be under the cap.

Should we be giving 6 year contracts to guys near/at 30?

I honestly don't think they sign for shorter term. Would you?

Both Buff and Ladd are in their prime. You make hay while the sun shines.

If Buff can put his game together and be more consistent and both stay healthy, we have 2 very good players locked up.

Buff can and has controled a game. He can put the team on his shoulders and carry them. We've seen it.

If there were any way to put clauses in a contract considering staying in shape and coming to camp in shape, I would want to see them in Buff's contract.

Having said that, I think he will continue to stay in shape and be in shape for TC this fall.

If Buff signs long term, I wouldn't have any problems trading him if he began to decline but with no trade clauses, the player has the leverage.

I see both Buff and Ladd signing long term deals and Trouba, Enstrom, Myers and Buff being our top 4 with Buff moving to the left side. When Morrisey is ready, Armia, Scheif and Buff would make a formidable line.

Also, Trouba will not be signing a bridge contract. The Jets will be worried about offer sheets on Trouba and he will be getting Hamilton like money....does anyone know when they can negotiate with a player that is under an ELC? I can't seem to find the info.

Ladd Current 4.4m 2m more 6.6 per for 6

Buff Current 5.2 2.3m more 7.5 per for 6

Trouba Current .894m 5.7m more 6.6 per for 8

Scheifele Current .863 2.5m more 3.333 per for 3

Lowry Current.8282 2m more 2.8 per for 3

Should we be giving 6 year contracts to guys near/at 30?

Ladd? For sure. Buff? Nope