CFL Draft Order

Rich

This post is a bit off into left field, and not even sure how this scenario popped into my mind, but based on Wikipedia, here is how the CFL draft order is determined (couldn’t find anything explaining it explicitly on the CFL site, but the cfldb.ca site uses the same rule for determining waiver eligibility in the first third of the season which it says is also used to determine draft order):

The selection order of the draft is based on a combination of the regular season standings and post-season results from the previous season. Non-Grey Cup participants are ranked in reverse order of the previous season's standings with the team with the league-worst record being awarded the first overall pick. Any ties between teams in different conferences are decided the same way as tied division opponents: first by season series, then by other tie-breaking formulas. The losing team in the previous year's Grey Cup game selects second-last while the winner of the previous year's Grey Cup selects last in each round. The order remains the same in each round.

With the cross over rules we have in place, if the 4th place team in the West has a tied record with the 3rd place team in the East, the 3rd place team in the East makes the playoffs no matter what.

However, if in the 2 games in which those teams played each other, the Western team beat the Easter team both times, according to the tie breaker rules above, the Eastern team would get a higher selection in the draft. 

This would mean a playoff team would get to draft above a non-playoff team (as long as they didn't play in the Grey Cup).  

Is this just another whacky CFL rule?  Does this rule make sense?  Or do I just have too much time on my hands and should get back to work?

Yep... should get back to work...

I think the way it works now is as so:

3 non playoff teams draft top 3 in order determined by regular season standings

Then the divisional semi losers draft 4-5 in order determined by regular season standings

Divisional final losers draft 6-7 in order determined by regular season standings

Grey Cup loser drafts 8

Grey Cup winner drafts 9

Then the divisional semi losers draft 4-5 in order determined by regular season standings

Divisional final losers draft 6-7 in order determined by regular season standings

Grey Cup loser drafts 8

Grey Cup winner drafts 9

This would make the most sense. Having a playoff team draft in the top 3 seems sketchy.

Grey Cup loser drafts 8

Grey Cup winner drafts 9

This....

Ottawa

Winnipeg

Toronto

BC

Saskatchewan

Montreal

Edmonton

Hamilton

Calgary

Haven't looked at the standings but I imagine this would be the draft order in the 1st round. 

and this.... make the most sense