Officiating

BomberFan

Anyone who says NBA officials are better than CFL officials doesn't follow the NBA at all.

1) The League/BoG/Rules Committee instructs the officials how they want the rules interpreted. And how they want the rules interpreted doesn't always correspond with how fans interpret the rule book. Heck, I doubt the majority of fans have read even part of the rule book.

2) Players need to be more disciplined. I wish there was some type of breakdown on what type of penalties are being called more often. I wouldn't be surprised if objectionable conduct calls are one of the ones that are way up and if that's the case, then it's on the players, not the officials.

3) You could show the same play to a group of people and the chances of there being a consensus are pretty low. Someone is always going to complain about a call/non-call.

4) Officials don't have the benefit of slow motion replay. I was just looking at that play from the ESF last season and PI may be obvious in slow motion but at game speed it's a lot more difficult to judge.

NBA is corrupt. It's officiating is a joke.

It's worse this year because of expansion. The talent pool is temporarily diluted. We've got 24 starters who would've been backups last year and 46 guys who would've been unemployed. Same thing happened with the Renegades,

I have a little problem buying into that argument.  Even the back ups have known the rules for many years. 

It's worse this year because of expansion. The talent pool is temporarily diluted. We've got 24 starters who would've been backups last year and 46 guys who would've been unemployed. Same thing happened with the Renegades,

I have a little problem buying into that argument.  Even the back ups have known the rules for many years. 

Fair point, but it isn't about whether or not they know the rules. They know the rules just fine. But now players are being put into positions that they are not skilled enough to play. A once-backup lineman knows you cant grab a d lineman by his jersey and hang on for dear life. A once-backup DB knows you can't grab a receivers jersey. But when John Chick is headed for your QB or Manny Arceneaux has beaten you deep, it's do that and hope you get away with it or let the other team execute on that play. A wider talent gap means more infractions are being committed. More infractions being committed means more infractions are being called. Happens every time a league expands, regardless of sport. You widen the gap between the best players and worst players and this is what happens.

Penalties are related to expansion?? Uhhhhhhhhhh....

Yes, more players required means less talented players spread out across more teams. Which means we get more obvious mismatches that teams try to exploit. In those situations, the mismatched player can do one of two things: let his man beat him clean or do something that warrants a penalty. More instances where this happens means more times players get busted for it. Which means more flags. See ANY league in ANY professional sport the year of expansion. Penalties and bad play always go up. Always. Good players are a finite resource. Adding another team in a league of 8 where there's already a shortage of quality Canadians and this is a short-term consequence that you get.

Or, you know, the refs are just assholes. Whatever floats your boat. Uhhhhhhhhhh...................

No.. The refs are not assholes, they are simply ill trained and unable to do the job required of them.... It's been an eyesore for the league long before Ottawa came around again..

No, it means the refs are human. Go to any team forum for any sport in any league and within the first three pages you'll see this exact thread. This is not exclusive to the CFL at all. 

Anyone who says NBA officials are better than CFL officials doesn't follow the NBA at all. 

1) The League/BoG/Rules Committee instructs the officials how they want the rules interpreted. And how they want the rules interpreted doesn't always correspond with how fans interpret the rule book. Heck, I doubt the majority of fans have read even part of the rule book.

2) Players need to be more disciplined. I wish there was some type of breakdown on what type of penalties are being called more often. I wouldn't be surprised if objectionable conduct calls are one of the ones that are way up and if that's the case, then it's on the players, not the officials.

3) You could show the same play to a group of people and the chances of there being a consensus are pretty low. Someone is always going to complain about a call/non-call. 

4) Officials don't have the benefit of slow motion replay. I was just looking at that play from the ESF last season and PI may be obvious in slow motion but at game speed it's a lot more difficult to judge.  

Nothing you've posted addresses the QUALITY of this years officiating. If you're satisfied with it, we have nothing more to discuss.

There's always room for improvement but that doesn't mean the officiating is as bad as you claim it is. And until you are objective about the officiating, we have nothing more to discuss.

Sorry the facts are not objective enough for you. 

From TSN.ca: Last week in the CFL the penalty flags were flying. In total between the four games played there were 110 penalties for 958 yards, which is the third-highest total in the last 20 years. Obviously, that is way too many penalties. It disrupts the flow of the game, extends the length of the game, and is flat out hard to watch.

Nothing you've posted addresses the QUALITY of this years officiating. If you're satisfied with it, we have nothing more to discuss.

There's always room for improvement but that doesn't mean the officiating is as bad as you claim it is. And until you are objective about the officiating, we have nothing more to discuss.

Sorry the facts are not objective enough for you. 

From TSN.ca: Last week in the CFL the penalty flags were flying. In total between the four games played there were 110 penalties for 958 yards, which is the third-highest total in the last 20 years. Obviously, that is way too many penalties. It disrupts the flow of the game, extends the length of the game, and is flat out hard to watch.

Since you're blaming the officials only for the increased penalties then you are obviously not being objective. You like quoting Suitor's blog so much but you keep ignoring these parts:

First, all of the penalties from last week have been reviewed and, of the 110 called, 93 of them were the correct call while only seven of them were debatable or questionable calls. Essentially, 94 per cent of the calls made last week were correct...

These numbers are significant, because it is important to understand that fixing the problem of too many penalties does not just fall on the shoulders of the officials. The players and coaches are ultimately responsible, and are working with Johnson on a weekly basis to improve the situation.

However, when you dig a little deeper into the numbers, we shouldn't be surprised. Of the 31 per cent increase this year, "player safety fouls," are leading the way. Penalties like unnecessary roughness, roughing the passer, face masking, and sportsmanship-related fouls like taunting are driving the increase.

So before we start chanting, "ref you suck," from the stands, remember that the Players' Association have negotiated player safety items into their new collective bargaining agreements and have made it a priority. It is the players who must change their behaviour, and better understand what is - and isn't - a legal hit, and play with more discipline. They voted it into their own agreements. For now, if the officials err, they will err on the side of protecting the players because that has been mandated by the league and the CFLPA.