Peter Young With A Great Story...

SpeedFlex27

Thought I'd share this from my Facebook page... That picture with the little booth looks scary. I have a major fear of heights.  

Boy this photo from Al Nickel sure brought back some great memories. In the five seasons in the late 70's that I did the play by play broadcasts of the CFL on CTV it seemed like we did almost every BC Lions home game. Obviously because the network tried to schedule an east and west game on the same night. One year we did 6 of the Lions home games. OK, the significance. See the red circle I put on the photo. Blow that up on your device and you'll see a little white broadcast booth (shack). That's where we called the games. On the freakin roof. To get there (again blow up the picture) we had to climb straight up a steel ladder from the level below, walk along one of those wooden pathways to get to the booth. Camera guys had to hoist those huge studio cameras up through the hole with ropes. I did two years of games from that perch with colour commentator Fred Fleming and three years with the late Frank Rigney. At halftime, if you had to pee, you had two options....climb down the steel ladder, stand in line with fans who had been drinking beer and hope you made it back for the second half OR...what we did....just walk out of the booth...AND PEE ON THE ROOF.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...