Jump to content

Anybody Fishing


pigseye
 Share

Recommended Posts

My kinda thread....

LDB is a solid multi-species fishery, but it's been awhile since I've been there. Over Christmas, we hit Big Windy a couple times. Once at Balsam, but didn't have a ton of success that day. Later off Warner at Matlock, and did very well there. We have a couple waypoints marked on the electronics that haven't let us down yet. Caught a bunch around the 25" mark, and one 29" that was the Bob Wylie of Walleye. Tanker. 

Aside from my family, the #1 thing I miss about MB while living in AB for work, is the fishing. It is God-awful out here...especially compared to home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to fish at Pointe Du Bois when I was a kid & my father was alive. We'd drive to PDB & my father would launch the boat & then we'd travel about 20 miles up the Winnipeg River. Great fishing back then. Walleye, perch, smallmouth bass & Northern Pike. My uncle always wanted to catch that elusive monster sturgeon. My dad's friend fished for goldeye & mooneye. The Winnipeg River was a great fishery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We used to fish at Pointe Du Bois when I was a kid & my father was alive. We'd drive to PDB & my father would launch the boat & then we'd travel about 20 miles up the Winnipeg River. Great fishing back then. Walleye, perch, smallmouth bass & Northern Pike. My uncle always wanted to catch that elusive monster sturgeon. My dad's friend fished for goldeye & mooneye. The Winnipeg River was a great fishery.

Very much still is... One of the best multi species fisheries on the planet, IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

My kinda thread....

LDB is a solid multi-species fishery, but it's been awhile since I've been there. Over Christmas, we hit Big Windy a couple times. Once at Balsam, but didn't have a ton of success that day. Later off Warner at Matlock, and did very well there. We have a couple waypoints marked on the electronics that haven't let us down yet. Caught a bunch around the 25" mark, and one 29" that was the Bob Wylie of Walleye. Tanker. 

Aside from my family, the #1 thing I miss about MB while living in AB for work, is the fishing. It is God-awful out here...especially compared to home.

Fished LDB back in August, caught our limit of pik and a few crappie on the Lee River too, first time in 20 years fishing there that we caught crappie, the fishery seems to be doing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Very much still is... One of the best multi species fisheries on the planet, IMO. 

That is a great time, if you ever get the chance go see Vance at Trail End Camp and have him take you the river to Eagle Nests and fish all the way back, he prepares a shore lunch with the trimmings for you too, just a great get away for the day and very reasonable. The river is very tricky if you don't know how to navigate it, lots of rocks to rip the bottom end off your boat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Fished LDB back in August, caught our limit of pik and a few crappie on the Lee River too, first time in 20 years fishing there that we caught crappie, the fishery seems to be doing well.

the stretch of Wpg River by LDB is becoming one of the best Crappie populations in the province that nobody knows about....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

Went to Pinawa last spring, for the first time. Physically, the setting is very nice. The river, the granite, trees/shrubs, wildlife, peace and quiet. Great spot.

Pinawa is beautiful, love the golf course there too, take lots of balls with you, lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am born and raised in Pinawa....My grandfather was one of the original 5 from Atomic Energy of Canada that came and designed the townsite and all that. My dad was a firefighter for AECL for 30 years. Suffice to say, I spent most of my childhood fishing and golfing. Between Pinawa, and our family cabin at Victoria Beach, I was extremely spoiled with where I got to grow up...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The Old Pinawa Dam is also fantastic.  I have taken three different groups there on field trips - have a fourth planned this spring. 

spent a lot of time "floating" the rapids at OP as a kid....always a good time. Lotta history there...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...