New Tallest Building In Winnipeg Announced

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/2016/04/07/tallest-building-in-winnipeg-proposed-for-portage-and-graham.html?cq_ck=1460047566287

Local developers Artis REIT announced the proposed residential and commercial tower on Thursday, which would cost about $165 million.

The 40-storey tower would feature 36 floors of residential and four floors of commercial and amenity space and would be situated at 300 Main Street at Graham Avenue.

The building would be the tallest in Winnipeg, and the tallest building between here and Calgary.

artis.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

25 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

More shadows for Shaw Park.

So will they have to gut that part of the underground area with all the restaurants? Guessing yes.

Apparently they built pads for high rises when Winnipeg Square was built.  So nope.  They are already ahead of the game.  They even said they considered going taller but the existing foundation couldnt support anymore weight.

This *should* enhance Winnipeg Square.  Certainly having 400 apartment units right above it with an entrance to the undergound in the lobby of the building should drive more people down there.  Its just what WPG Square needs.

400 apartments ... where are these people going to park?

You would think they'd need to expand the existing underground parkade, acquire some of the Impark lots next to Winnipeg Square and build a parkade up, or designate a few of the floors of the new building as parking.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

You would think they'd need to expand the existing underground parkade, acquire some of the Impark lots next to Winnipeg Square and build a parkade up, or designate a few of the floors of the new building as parking.

That's a good point.  Perhaps they are hoping for a crowd that doesnt drive.

Starting in February, completed two years later.  Announced as 40 floors but the render provided shows 44.  So not sure.  *should* end up as the tallest in Winnipeg (beating out 201 Portage).  She's a big one!

26227196341_56b6c0fd0b_z.jpg

EDIT:  Should also note the project includes a re-cladding of existing 360 main building and the construction of a smaller building to connect the,.  Also seems to leave room at the SW corner for further development in the future.

Between this, TNS, Glasshouse and Skycity, downtown is going to look a lot different in 5 years with a TON of people living there.  And almost $1b of private investment into Winnipeg downtown.  Not to mention Forks Development is eventually forthcoming too...

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just now, Goalie said:

Now do something about portage place cuz that'sthe biggest problem in the downtown. 

There are two pads there also.  Hydro tower was considered for that location.  Hopefully this amount of activity encourages PP to look into building their towers.  But they need some rehab as far as that area is concerned.  These projects will bring so many people downtown 24/7 which will increase business as well and there will be a stronger desire to improve the area.  Probably push some of the undesirables out.  Regardless, this amount of people living in the downtown will make the area inherently safer, I would suspect.

Apparently, Artis also has no objection to the re-opening of P&M.  They had been the only hold out.  So if true, that is even better news.  In time there should be a nice connection and flow between the Forks, P&M down to TNS, CityPlace, MTSC and hopefully all the way down to PP.

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

I havent been down there in a long while but isnt there signifcant parking at WPG Square?  I imagine they would turn some of those into monthly deals for the apartments.  This is really a wise venture as it will do wonders for Winnipeg Square, increase people down there (im sure the building will be designed to encourage people to go down and having a better above -grade entrance would invite non-residents as well), plus more and better commercial tenants for the mall and increased rent.

It's interesting that it's rentals and not condos.  Probably smart.  I wonder if their thought process is that renters would be "younger" and that feeds their other on-site ventures better.  Or just that with the amount of condos going up, a rental building was appealing to an under-served demo.  There are likely many young people that would love to own a condo downtown that cant yet afford it but this will be their "entry level" into downtown living and close to many things that appeal to the younger market.

EDIT: Apparently the WPG Square parkade is 900 stalls.  So there you go.

CBC has a video showing a 3d render flyby.  Doesnt look like much space on the SW side for additional builds.  But I would assume they make that side look desirable to at least draw people into the mall.  Building looks great and the reclad of 360 looks very sharp.  The views of the Forks on one side and downtown on the other will be breathtaking. 

A minor aside to this is that Skycity has said they hope to be under construction in 2017 also:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/07/skycity-tower-moving-forward-too?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

SkyCity Centre is a planned $200-million project from Toronto-based Fortress Real Developments expected to rise to 575 feet at 245 Graham Ave. The 45-storey “vertical village” would feature 388 condo units starting under $200,000 and a six-storey pad that is to include a 25,000-sq.ft. grocery store on the ground floor. There are also plans for some 30,000-sq.ft. of amenity space and another 60,000-sq.ft of office space.

Senior vice-president Ben Myers said plans announced Thursday by Artis REIT to construct a 40-storey rental apartment tower at 300 Main St. should help their push to get shovels in the ground next year.

I'm not convinced this "SKY CITY" development happens. Fortress is kind of an iffy group. They have promised other projects but they never happen or they sell it to someone else. Not convinced it happens but would be cool if it did. 

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'm not convinced this "SKY CITY" development happens. Fortress is kind of an iffy group. They have promised other projects but they never happen or they sell it to someone else. Not convinced it happens but would be cool if it did. 

They were definitely ridiculed for a long time and generally deserved it.  But they have over 150 units pre-sold so they should be good to go.  They sold more units in a much faster timeline than anticipated and gained instant credibility.  Im not sure the project will be amazing as they promise (huge grocer, luxury amenities, LED lighting that can be customizable on its roof, ie. they jet it could flash when the Jets score) but I *should* get done. 

If anything I hope some of these developers start comparing sizes, if you know what I mean.  300 Main should be tallest.  Skycity should beat it though.  Maybe increased competition for providing amenities.  Or working together...for example, if 300 Main, Skycity and TNS both include grocery stores or markets, maybe they can compliment each other.

I have my doubts but like i sort of said lol, I hope it happens also. 

Downtown is changing big time, and has the last several years... Still a few problem areas but slowly (not even that slowly actually) but surely, things are changing. 

Let's not forget the Hotel across from MTS and the very cool looking Glasshouse tower there and we can even throw in Hydro and the renovated very neat looking Avenue building. 

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I have my doubts but like i sort of said lol, I hope it happens also. 

Downtown is changing big time, and has the last several years... Still a few problem areas but slowly (not even that slowly actually) but surely, things are changing. 

Let's not forget the Hotel across from MTS and the very cool looking Glasshouse tower there and we can even throw in Hydro and the renovated very neat looking Avenue building. 

We could even go back to MTSC.  People said it would be a catalyst to downtown development and it really wasnt.  But the return of the Jets to a degree was a catalyst and without MTSC, that wouldnt have happened. 

Not to mention, Medical Arts reno-rebuild for MLCC.  Alt & Glasshouse (as you said).  There is still that gaping hole next to 201 Portage.  Plus the Forks Re-development to come.  True North will continue to invest in Burton Cummings theatre and it wouldnt surprise me to see some action for improving that area as well.  Earls on Main wants to build a new restaurant too.

The key thing was always hitting a critical mass of people living and working downtown and these developments will do that.  Then business will spring up to serve the residents.  Should be a really fun 5+ years in downtown.

EDIT: Sort of lost in the 300 main announcement is that they are re-cladding 360 Main.  The recladding has already begun and will take a year.  Its going to look completely different and very sharp.  Artis doesnt own the Scotia Bank portion which is why its not included in the reclad.  Hopefully whomever owns it (Scotia?) decides to refresh their portion of the building.

I'm no expert but the smart people I read say smaller in full projects are actually better for downtown. But the skyscrapers are the ego boosts. 

Artis isn't sure the size of the new main St building. The foundation is 40 years old so they are studying how highly they can go. They said 30-50 stories. So they announced 40 feeling that was probably at least as tall as it will be but actually want it taller. 

But it should be the new tallest. And Skycity ahould be even taller assuming it happens. They have deposits on 150 condos so it looks good.