Tee Martin New USC OC

iso_55

On 12/31/2015 at 0:18 AM, iso_55 said:

No, you're absolutely wrong. I have a feeling you said what you said in jest but I'd hardly call a coach like Cal Murphy, Bud Grant, Frank Clair, Hugh Campbell, Bill Belichek, Vince Lombardi, Paul Brown or Bill Walsh failures.

The same thing could be said of you when you think about it. You promote pro wrestling but you  can't perform at a high level in the ring. Like the WWE. Does that mean you're a failure?

Every rule has exceptions that doesnt mean the rule is invalid. 

People that were successful in all walks of life doesn't mean they'd be great mentors or coaches either. I was in sales for many years & saw lots of successful sales people in the field who didn't know how to motivate the people under them when they became managers. I saw more than a few go back into the field. They were more valuable to the companies I was with as sales reps than managers.

Edited by iso_55

On 1/3/2016 at 9:43 PM, iso_55 said:

People that were successful in all walks of life doesn't mean they'd be great mentors or coaches either. I was in sales for many years & saw lots of successful sales people in the field who didn't know how to motivate the people under them when they became managers. I saw more than a few go back into the field. They were more valuable to the companies I was with as sales reps than managers.

Its not news that great doers dont allways make great teachers. Michael jordan and the great one are proof of that. But that doesnt really effect the saying. 

The way I see it, the saying seems to say that failures coach successes. I don't see it that way. I actually disliked that saying. I'm sure it was made up by some guy who never played or coached a sport in his life.

Just because a guy didn't play pro football or maybe he did but wasn't a star player or only went as far as college doesn't make him a failure. The NFL & CFL are proof of that. Did Chris Jones play in the NFL? Scott Milanovich was a non descript backup qb in Calgary along with the Chargers HC Mike McCoy. Jim Popp coached in Saskatchewan before he went to the Als as GM but I don't believe he played in the CFL or NFL. Rick Campbell is the son of CFL legend Hugh Campbell who opened a few doors for him as a young coach. We in Winnipeg have a great former CFL middle linebacker in Mike O'Shea. Still uncertain if he'll ever become a great coach. Mixed reviews so far. Then there's Dave Dickenson in Calgary who was a very good player before be became a coach.

All kinds of examples in the NFL so I won't even mention names here.

Edited by iso_55