War Against ISIS

Sorry if this doesnt warrant its own thread but the other threads seem too focused on specific incidents.  I assume there will be lots of general "ISIS" news coming...

Washington (CNN)U.S. Gen. Paul Selva withstood one of the most biting rebuttals of the country's ISIS strategy Wednesday when he told lawmakers the Pentagon would not impose a no-fly zone on Syria because of possible blowback from Russia and Syria.

"We have the military capacity to impose a no-fly zone. The question that we need to ask is do we have the political and policy backdrop with which to do so," Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Selva told the Senate Armed Services Committee, pointing to the threat of "direct conflict" with Syrian forces or "a miscalculation" with the Russians should they challenge the no-fly zone.

Committee Chairman John McCain, an Arizona Republican, shot back: "I must say, it's one of the more embarrassing statements I've ever heard from a uniformed military officer, that we are worried about Syria and Russia's reaction to saving the lives of thousands and thousands of Syrians who are being barrel-bombed and massacred."

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter defended the argument Obama made Sunday: the ISIS strategy is working, so give it time.

But even as Carter said that the U.S. is "building momentum against ISIL," also known as ISIS, he agreed with an assessment from McCain that the terrorist group hadn't been contained. That contrasts with what President Barack Obama said had been achieved against the organization last month.

***What a bonehead remark by Obama a few weeks back.  Completely clueless.