4D Movies

http://www.latino-review.com/news/4-d-is-comingand-it-wont-be-cheap

A couple years back I went with my son and mother to Niagara Falls. 
It was beautiful. But to my surprise, also had this huge carnival-esque neighborhood next to our hotel to bank on tourists.
Outside of the mirror mazes and upside down houses and Ripley's Believe it or Not centers, was this theater...a 4-D theater.

What's 4-D?
4-D is when the movie goer is subjected to first person, actual 'physical contact' during a 3-D performance.
A whale jumps out of the water?
A light mist shoots you in the face safely from the 4-D theater seat ahead of you as you watch in 3-D.
It's actually pretty awesome.
Snow was foam.
Rocky rides and drops were tossing you around while you are strapped safely in your seat.
Even smells.

Movie goers in New York are being promised the opportunity to experience 4-D regular theater films by the end of this year reports say.

Imagine the next Avengers or Star Wars in 4-D!

It'd be like a $30 two hour trip to Disneyland, Epcot or Universal Studios.

“New York City moviegoers are going to be in for an incredible cinematic treat later this year,’’ Rob Del Moro, Regal’s Chief Technical and Theater Opperations Officer claims.

Attempts at 4-D theater have been attempted and or 'improvised' in Times Square since 1929 with Broadway shows such as "The Broadway Melody" where the manager sprayed perfume in the theater during the performance, unfortunately to only linger weeks afterwards.

It's evolutionary leap into 'Smell-O-Vision" in the 1950's was also foiled as the attempt to release scents of flowers and tobacco were of no avail in the film "Scent of Mystery" starring Elizabeth Taylor.

In 1981's "Polyester" and 2011's "Spy Kids", 'scratch and sniff' cards were deployed but only reguarded as a cheap gimmick.

Universal's 'Sensurround System' debuted vibrating seats in 1974's "Earthquake" to not even last to 1980.

In the 80's there was Universal's "Captain Eo" starring Michael Jackson.

A "Polar Express" that served hot chocolate you could smell at "Dollywood" Tennesse.

Companies who are struggling with the conversion like CJ 4DPlex, are said to have installed 182 4-D sites in 34 countries since 2010 and the only one currently running a profit is Regal's "L.A. Live" in Los Angeles (due to an extraordinary inflated ticket price).

It is anticipated that more cash-savy New Yorkers will maybe attempt the 4-D experience once or twice and then go back to avoiding high movie costs by purchasing regular film tickets.

What do you think?

Would you pay $30 to feel the air in your hair flying next to Iron Man?

Feel free to leave your comments.

OMG this is so stupid.  How does it improve a movie by having water splashed in your face?  I don't even like watching movies in 3D.

Also, I wish they wouldn't call it 4D.  The 4th dimension is time, not physical touch.  I know this is "movie talk", but it's based after Dimensions.

No kidding.  I bought tickets for the Silver City gimmick with the chairs that move.  Cant remember what they call them.  It didnt really enhance my experience.  It was distracting.

I'd try "4D" once for the experience.  But it wouldnt be my usual movie going choice.

D-Box