Garden City Collegiate

Goalie

This is some sad heartbreaking stuff there, anyone hear of this? More than likely, It's pretty brutal. a high school girl killed herself a few days ago, few days later, the boyfriend did the same thing, I suppose a day or so after the girl killed herself, the guy went on twitter and posted a pic of the 2 of them together saying i will see you soon and i will always love you... 

Just a sad situation there. 

This is some sad heartbreaking stuff there, anyone hear of this? More than likely, It's pretty brutal. a high school girl killed herself a few days ago, few days later, the boyfriend did the same thing, I suppose a day or so after the girl killed herself, the guy went on twitter and posted a pic of the 2 of them together saying i will see you soon and i will always love you... 

Just a sad situation there. 

Really?? Wow.  Horrible.  Someone killed themselves when I was in high school.  i didnt know him at all but it was pretty traumatic for many people.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Garden-City-Collegiate-students-mourn-death-of-classmates-302759351.html

Seems the school and division are offering a lot of support.  When I was in high school and this happened, the teachers had a meeting first thing in the morning where they were instructed not to discuss the situation at all, to ignore it and go on business as usual.  My first class of the day was with an excellent teacher (the best I ever had) and the first thing he did was say he was told not to discuss it but "does anyone have anything to say?" and that prompted a class-discussion where people were able to share their thoughts and feelings.  He was an excellent teacher.

Welcome to life at Pinawa Secondary. So many over the years...I'm not even sure what the grand total is. During my time, I believe there were 4, from 1992-1996. During my mom's time, in the late 60s/early 70s, there were 5 in 5 years. At one point in time, Pinawa had the highest suicide rate per capita in Canada, with only 1500 people (ish) and the sheer unheard of volume of suicide. 

Sigh. :(

Welcome to life at Pinawa Secondary. So many over the years...I'm not even sure what the grand total is. During my time, I believe there were 4, from 1992-1996. During my mom's time, in the late 60s/early 70s, there were 5 in 5 years. At one point in time, Pinawa had the highest suicide rate per capita in Canada, with only 1500 people (ish) and the sheer unheard of volume of suicide. 

Sigh. :(

Has there been any explanation for that?

Not that I ever heard. There were a lot of theories about the pressure on students to perform academically because everyone was a child of a scientist or engineer or something. You were told from day 1 that you have to have great grades to get into a great University and have a degree. Not sure how much that plays in, but it was something that was talked about.