Canadian Country music awards

Mark F

Canadian Country Music Awards on CBC last night.

1. Rick Mercer the host? what ? and Jan Arden? She's from Alberta. that's it. that's her connection to country music.

There's all kinds of people who would have made more sense. 

2. Awful music. Pop chart Country music these days is drivel. no steel guitar, no fiddles to speak of, no twang, no feeling in the tunes or the performers.

too bad. There were performers on that show, who could not sing in tune. not even close. 

The only good performance I saw was Terry Clark.

Otherwise….. pretty bad.

There's a ton of good country being written and played, but it never makes it to award shows.

my favourite Canadian country music singer is Lindy Ortega.

American… Sturgill Simpson.

Anyone waste any time on that thing?

Canadian Country Music Awards on CBC last night.

1. Rick Mercer the host? what ? and Jan Arden? She's from Alberta. that's it. that's her connection to country music.

There's all kinds of people who would have made more sense. 

2. Awful music. Pop chart Country music these days is drivel. no steel guitar, no fiddles to speak of, no twang, no feeling in the tunes or the performers.

too bad. There were performers on that show, who could not sing in tune. not even close. 

The only good performance I saw was Terry Clark.

Otherwise….. pretty bad.

There's a ton of good country being written and played, but it never makes it to award shows.

my favourite Canadian country music singer is Lindy Ortega.

American… Sturgill Simpson.

Anyone waste any time on that thing?

1. She has a single on the Country charts, in the Top 30 right now...called Karolina (featuring Autumn Hill). Also, she and Mercer are CBC darlings. CBC broadcasts the show, they pick the hosts. 

2. Music isn't that bad. Brody's "Mountain Man" is fantastic. Kissel sucks, but that's about it. Ortega is great and was full marks for her Roots Artist Of The Year win. Sturgill Simpson will be a star one day, no question. One of the best emerging from that Red Dirt scene. 

Was at Country Music Week in Edmonton, though I opted to skip the "big" awards on Sunday night because I don't care as much for the so-called "stars" of the genre. Chose to watch the Banjo Bowl instead...blech. Thought the awards went about as well as could be expected. Kissel virtually shut out, and all the other winners were certainly deserving.

Noeller, 

you might like this site, 

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com

lot of articles about the state of country music, and he introduces a lot of new musicians, singers, songwriters. often very funny in his takedowns of the brocountry guys. FloridaGeorgialine etc.

That's where I heard of Sturgill Simpson.

Actually know the publishers fairly well. There's too much negativity for me these days. Too much shitting on everything on the radio, most of it unwarranted. There used to be a great one called The9513.com for awhile but it went **** up, unfortunately...

I'm a fan of country, some of it is a bit too sappy for my liking but Luke Bryan, FLAGA line, those are some pretty good bands. I will admit that i think the music industry in general is in a downwards spiral, there are no nirvanas or aerosmiths or metallicas around any more. It's all this electronic crap where they don't even play a musical instrument. See, maybe it's just me but to be in a band, i always thought you had to play an instrument. I don't really care for todays music too much, but Country? Well, Compared to what is out there for the most part, it's not too shabby. 

Didn't watch but.... Don't mind country music these days. Didn't care for it when i was much younger. I feel sorry for todays generation of children to be honest because they don't even know what real music is. Give me The Beatles or Nirvana or Blind Melon or Alice In Chains or even Rage Against The Machine and Bad Religion over the crap that is out there now any day of the week.  The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd.. Man, today.. it's all about "black widow baby" and stuff like that, Don't mind that song but  it's just... it's not real music in my opinion. 

I'm a fan of country, some of it is a bit too sappy for my liking but Luke Bryan, FLAGA line, those are some pretty good bands. I will admit that i think the music industry in general is in a downwards spiral, there are no nirvanas or aerosmiths or metallicas around any more. It's all this electronic crap where they don't even play a musical instrument. See, maybe it's just me but to be in a band, i always thought you had to play an instrument. I don't really care for todays music too much, but Country? Well, Compared to what is out there for the most part, it's not too shabby. 

Didn't watch but.... Don't mind country music these days. Didn't care for it when i was much younger. I feel sorry for todays generation of children to be honest because they don't even know what real music is. Give me The Beatles or Nirvana or Blind Melon or Alice In Chains or even Rage Against The Machine and Bad Religion over the crap that is out there now any day of the week.  The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd.. Man, today.. it's all about "black widow baby" and stuff like that, Don't mind that song but  it's just... it's not real music in my opinion. 

False -- also, Luke Bryan isn't a band. He's just one guy...and doesn't multi-task well.

There is some solid stuff on the radio right now, but still too much on the fringe. People like Sunny Sweeney, Chris Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson, Lee Ann Womack, Kacey Musgrages, Brandy Clark, Jamey Johnson.....need better acceptance from the mainstream. Playlists are too tight...formats too rigid. We need more openness at radio across the country. 

You can chalk me up to being a country music fan since I live with a country music singer/songwriter (truth be told I listen to more sports talk radio than music of any variety) . The CCMAs was always a frustrating thing for me though when we were still in Canada as you could pick the award winners basically from the day the nominees were announced.

You can chalk me up to being a country music fan since I live with a country music singer/songwriter (truth be told I listen to more sports talk radio than music of any variety) . The CCMAs was always a frustrating thing for me though when we were still in Canada as you could pick the award winners basically from the day the nominees were announced.

interesting. lots of great live music going on there, I guess. who have you seen live in the last while, If you've had the chance? 

I hope things are going well for you both career wise.

interesting. lots of great live music going on there, I guess. who have you seen live in the last while, If you've had the chance? 

TONS of music here. More live venues than Canada is the common phrase among the ex-pats. I don't get out to many of the venues but my wife has shared a stage or been a guest of a good list of acts that you'd know from an afternoon of listening to the radio. 

I've seen some acts like Richard Marx, Kenny Loggins and an arm's length of writers performing their songs made hits by others.

It's a crazy town where a chunk of the population lives strictly off the tips of good folks that come to listen to live music. 

I hope things are going well for you both career wise.

It's a great place to hang out and watch football. This Friday night I'm heading to see an Ole Miss commit line up opposite a Georgia commit all game long.

And Nashville is the cross roads of the heartland. Here the SEC, Conference USA and the Ohio Valley Conference all have football schools. 

Add in the Atlantic Sun Conference for basketball right in town and the one hour radius adds two more Ohio Valley schools (Austin Peay and Tennessee Tech) and then a little farther drive to Memphis in the American Athletic Conference. Plus all the little schools. I think we have 16 degree granting schools with football teams in the state (population of 6.3Million).