Buying A New Car In The Us

Dascow

I looked into pretty heavily it and found it wasn't really worth it unless you are buying something to the effect of a range rover or a vette or a porshe or a 300ZX.

what were you thinking about buying

edit I realize now that you are lookingto buy a new car, I only really looked into used cars.

There are certain things that Canada requires that American cars sometimes don't have, mostly safety or emissions related stuff, I'm actually not that well-versed in the common issues but I know they exist.  For this reason, cars can sometimes get held up at the border for a prolonged period.  Do your homework!  This is a good place to start:

http://www.ama.ab.ca/automotive/importing-a-vehicle

I had friends who did this quite a bit,   you will find better deals on more luxury vehicles.   If you're looking at a lower to mid range type of vehicle it's really not worth it.   

You can however get fantastic deals on quads, bikes,  boats and riding mowers....

Thanks guys for the help.

The reason I want to buy in the US is because I can't get it here.

I am looking for a Ford Fusion Hybrid.  The 2014 models are out in the US already but in Canada we only have 2013.  That is making it almost impossible to get what I want.  The 2014 stock isn't coming for a while yet and the 2013 stock is fairly depleted.

I found a vehicle at a dealer in Minneapolis but I don't know how to go about getting it here. And how to "Canadianize" it, so to speak.  Doctor Handsome, the link that you posted should help, I will take a look at it.  Thanks.

iso_55, it looks like Pacific Motors only does used vehicles.

If you bought a new Ford Fusion in Minneapolis there wouldn't be much to Canadianizeit  as it would have a block heater as the winters down there are almost as cold as Winnipeg. Probably the only thing you'd have to do is get a speedometer/odometer with metric settings, I'd think. Can the dealer down there special order? And I'd be concerned about the warranty. Would it be honoured up here? This was a serious issue a few years ago with most of the auto manufacturing companies.

If you bought a new Ford Fusion in Minneapolis there wouldn't be much to Canadianizeit  as it would have a block heater as the winters down there are almost as cold as Winnipeg. Probably the only thing you'd have to do is get a speedometer/odometer with metric settings, I'd think. Can the dealer down there special order? And I'd be concerned about the warranty. Would it be honoured up here? This was a serious issue a few years ago with most of the auto manufacturing companies.

I'd also check to make sure warranties will be honoured here in Canada. Some vehicle warranties are honoured and some aren't.

I'd also check to make sure warranties will be honoured here in Canada. Some vehicle warranties are honoured and some aren't.

You can get the regs on buying used & new cars in the US & bringing them to Canada by contacting Customs. You'd have to probably pay GST at the border I'd think & then duty later within a specific time frame, I believe... But I don't know for sure. Just make sure YOU know everything you have to know before you buy down there.

You can get the regs on buying used & new cars in the US & bringing them to Canada by contacting Customs. You'd have to probably pay GST at the border I'd think & then duty later within a specific time frame, I believe... But I don't know for sure. Just make sure YOU know everything you have to know before you buy down there.

You are absolutely right about that.  There is no way I am just going down there on a whim.  It may take me some time, but I am definitely going to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I do anything. :)