Jacob Trouba or Seth Jones

Rich

FRANCHISE FACEOFF

If you were starting an NHL franchise of your own, who is the one player you would select as your cornerstone?

Would it be a top-notch goal scorer or a two-way forward? Would you opt for pure skill or is leadership ability more important?

That's Hockey has selected 31 options for your consideration this summer. They are matched up in a head-to-head single elimination bracket style tournament and it's up to you to crown the champ.

On That's Hockey, we'll roll out the day's match-up and our two panellists will debate and make the case for the player they would select. You can then cast your vote on TSN.ca and the results will be revealed on the next episode of That's Hockey before the next match.

For an added element of surprise, the TSN Quizmaster is watching and can veto your final vote - once in Round 1, once and Round 2 and a single Round 3 challenge which would trigger a re-vote.

Current showdown is Trouba vs Jones

http://www.tsn.ca/franchisefaceoff/

Interesting how they structured this.  All first round matchups feature extremely similar players.  Except for two fairly odd ones - Quick v Weber and Doughty v Hall.  But guys who you would think should get a fairly deep run like Ovechkin and Stamkos; one will be out after the first round.

Nice to see TSN giving Trouba some love as a franchise player.  He's even winning the poll.

Probably helps that no one in Nashville is voting.

I might be most curious what happens in the Karlsson v Pietrangelo matchup.  I have a hunch that Karlsson will be viewed as a one-dimensional player and get some backlash because of it, when it really shouldn't be close.

Interesting how they structured this.  All first round matchups feature extremely similar players.  Except for two fairly odd ones - Quick v Weber and Doughty v Hall.  But guys who you would think should get a fairly deep run like Ovechkin and Stamkos; one will be out after the first round.

Nice to see TSN giving Trouba some love as a franchise player.  He's even winning the poll.

Probably helps that no one in Nashville is voting.

I might be most curious what happens in the Karlsson v Pietrangelo matchup.  I have a hunch that Karlsson will be viewed as a one-dimensional player and get some backlash because of it, when it really shouldn't be close.

Depends what you like in a d man though. Karlsson is a good offensive d man but not so good in his own end, Pietrangelo is a solid 2 way d man. Honestly, if push came to shove, i think i'd go with AP over EK. 

Pietrangelo over Karlsson and I don't even think twice about it. Offensive defensemen are nice in the regular season but it's guys like Pietrangelo who can do everything on the back end that you ultimately win with. One dimensional defence are complimentary pieces, guys like AP are legit franchise guys.