Happy Birthday Dieter Brock

IC Khari

Jim Thorpe, besides having the same famous name as a legendary American Olympian, was an all star flanker with the Argos & Bombers. His career abruptly ended in the spring of 1973 when he was caught stealing weed & (I believe) cocaine across the border into Canada at Detroit in the spring of 1973 about a month before training camp. The Bombers immediately cut him & he never played again in the CFL. He may have gone to the World Football League which  was just starting up that year but I don't know. Had he stayed clean, he would have continued to put up all star thousand yard plus seasons with the Bombers having Don Jonas & then Dieter Brock throwing to him. He was just in his mid to late 20's when he was arrested & charged.

1375820499.jpg

There's Hanson in his number 5 (how did we get started on this anyway? ;) ) Before my time so sorry if I forgot about his number. Definitely another great Bomber wearing number 5!

He is the original number 5!!! Won our first Grey Cup because of him. I had  a neighbour on our street growing up in Winnipeg in the late 60's & early 70's when I was a teen who was a real old time Bomber fan. Right from the beginning of the team back in 1930. He used to regale me with his stories of players in Bomber uniforms like Fritz Hanson, Russ Rebholz, Bob Fritz, Tom Casey, Jack Jacobs along with Woody Strode of the Stamps, Normie Kwong, Jackie Parker & Johnny Bright all of the Eskimos & other real old time Blue Bomber & CFL players. As well as going to games at old Osborne Stadium a place he just adored as a fan. I give him full credit for me becoming a Bomber fan because of those stories. I mean literally he'd get going & sometimes I'd listen to him for a couple of hours just telling stories of the CFL back in the 30's & 40's.... RIP John McGibney & thank you for sharing your knowledge of history & love of the Blue Bombers as well as the old CFL with me. Getting a little choked up posting this....

Since starting to follow the Bombers in the late 1970s I can only remember the following players wearing #5 - Dieter, Tim Jessie, Kevin Glenn and Chadd Simpson. Thorpe was before my time.

Barrin Simpson also wore 5 which made a lot of fans happy when Chad picked #5 as their jerseys made sense again. I was hoping Glenn would come back so I could resurrect my #5 Glenn jersey that I picked up on a Boxing Day sale for next to nothing when Kelly had declared Lefors was the answer. And then Willy got 5......