Jets Extend Cheveldayoff

Rich

Two year contract extenseion.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432158

I like this move.  Like what he has done so far, but this team is now pretty much all his.  With guys he has either signed to extensions, traded for, or drafted.  They need to make the playoffs within the time frame of this extension.

Can't be expecting too much out of that team just yet, didn't inherit a hell of a lot from Atlanta and it takes time to draft and develop players and turn them into contributing players, the first draft was only a couple years ago for the jets, and I think he's done a solid job of putting a more competitive team out there than expected. That being said probably going to get worse playing in a conference that isn't the the powderpuff southeast division but I think they are on the right track, just might take a bit longer than some people have patience for. 

I like the extension but would have been equally okay with putting it off until next season.  You're not going to change the world in basically what has been a season-and-a-half so far. He still had 3 years left on his contract, so making the move to extend him was a bit premature.  

It also is a little telling with what it says about the status of Noel at this point.

has Gary Lawless written about him being a lame duck yet?

I don't think he has, but Gary likes Noel.  They (can't remember if it was Gary specifically, but "they" as in TSN 1290) have insuniated that this is likely the make it or break it year for Noel.  

They've re-signed the core players, Cheveldayoff has been given the nod of approval, the team almost made the playoffs last year, so if they don't make it in this year, you have to wonder if Noel isn't the one to go.  The extension basically screams that he has this year to show what he can do with the team, and if not, next year is basically his severance pay.

So, lame duck not yet, but if the team doesn't perform this year, he is probably gone.

Noel gets more from that team than is there so to me as more of a secondary jets fan it seems crazy that he's even on the bubble. I mean almost made the playoffs in the SE division, that's not much of an accomplishment but that roster isn't much just yet either. It's not going to be a playoff team in the west I don't believe, the level of competition is just so much higher. This is a team that still sees Jokinen as an option at centre, that means you don't have a good roster. There's some good pieces but it's not a playoff roster until some of them take a big step. 

Noel gets more from that team than is there so to me as more of a secondary jets fan it seems crazy that he's even on the bubble. I mean almost made the playoffs in the SE division, that's not much of an accomplishment but that roster isn't much just yet either. It's not going to be a playoff team in the west I don't believe, the level of competition is just so much higher. This is a team that still sees Jokinen as an option at centre, that means you don't have a good roster. There's some good pieces but it's not a playoff roster until some of them take a big step. 

Don't disagree for the most part, and Jokinen has been a bust, but some of the problems with this team have been consistent over the last couple of years and some of them go beyond talent.  Most surround inconsistent play.  They show flashes of what they can do for a game or over a couple of periods, and then they fizzle making the same mental mistakes and let downs.

The question becomes ... is that an indication of coaching or a young team.   Jury is out on that.  And that is why he got the "bridge" extension to find out.  Is it a guarantee that he will be fired if they don't make the playoffs, probably not as you are right, it is a tougher division and conference.   But if he can't push them past those same inconsistencies, or they regress, I think he is gone.  

I like Noel.  He is a great interview, always entertaining quotes, but over the last year, there are times I wondered if he is the right man for the job.  

I say the inconsistencies are from a coach getting more out of a roster of scrubs than a coach not maximizing his talent. The only forward who is a true top flight offensive guy is Kane and even he isn't really dominant. He's a 30 goal guy which is great but 30 or so goals in 82 games doesn't lead to a lot of consistency out of a team. If all their prospects develop to a reasonable level they'll have a heck of a defence in a few years and some solid forwards but overall the top end talent isn't there right now to expect any kind of consistency from the team. 

Going after scoring in free agency generally doesn't work out, it just leads to over priced contracts. Gotta develop from within these days. Need Schieffele to turn into a real player, need Ladd and Wheeler and those guys to maintain the offense they're bringing now and need Kane to stay on track. They got some interesting looking options on defense now and in the future, as long as the development pipeline works eventually it'll work out.