Fancy Stats - Jets

Floyd

Since we're arguing about Corsi etc... I thought I'd throw out a fancy stats report - at least how I interpret them

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/WPG/2017.html

- Ehlers probably should have been our all-star instead of Laine...

- Petan has dropped a bit but still has nice numbers with a marginally increased role

- Armia is dropping off, his stats were dominant earlier in the season - injury?

- Copp has looked good with increased role but his stats say he's not driving play... something to watch

- Petan, Laine and (sigh) Stafford are our best powerplay performers

- Buf is a liability on the power play but is dominant 5v5

- Enstrom and Trouba should be our PP point men with Laine or Petan

- Morrissey should get more time on PK

- Chiarot with surprising good stats on PK...?

- Lowry probably should not be our main option to kill penalties

- Our special teams still suck

Armia didnt come back after his injury the same way.  Wont write him off though, he might still be ailing.  Plus the team sucks as a whole which probably hurts the individual in many cases.

That Trouba/Buff observation is interesting.  Because, in a perfect world, it probably allows for Trouba to eat more PP minutes than Buff.  In fact, wouldn't Buff look better as a net presence on the PP, rather then the point guy?

Okay Floyd (or anyone) you have to help me out here, serious question....I am looking at Corsi CF% and looked up the definition and it shows Trouba with a lower % than Buff, Enstrom, Morrissey and Myers. I see how they get there numbers by taking shots for divided by shots for plus shots against. Does this mean Trouba is poorer defensively or not as strong offensively or a bit of both?

I also notice that the Fenwick and Corsi numbers are close on all D but Myers who has a lower Fenwick number. Does this indicate that a lot of his shots get blocked?

On 1/30/2017 at 0:00 PM, Ducky said:

Okay Floyd (or anyone) you have to help me out here, serious question....I am looking at Corsi CF% and looked up the definition and it shows Trouba with a lower % than Buff, Enstrom, Morrissey and Myers. I see how they get there numbers by taking shots for divided by shots for plus shots against. Does this mean Trouba is poorer defensively or not as strong offensively or a bit of both?

I also notice that the Fenwick and Corsi numbers are close on all D but Myers who has a lower Fenwick number. Does this indicate that a lot of his shots get blocked?

You can't really tell from the CF% whether it's from better offence or worse defence.  One thing you can look at is zone start percentage.  If someone is starting in the defensive zone all the time, even if they are good players the other team has a far better chance of generating shots.

Myers hasn't played much.  But a lower Fenwick in general means that more of your shots are getting blocked or you aren't blocking as many shots.  But it's important to remember that it's about everyone on the ice at the time, not just the one player.  That's one reason why the sample size for Myers is too small, especially when talking about something as (relatively) rare as shot blocks.  I wouldn't read anything into stats in anything less than 20 games played because they jump up and down before leveling off.