So is Schiefele a vet now?

iHeart

This is something I had just been wondering considering that so many members have kind of downplayed the vets this season.

In my opinion Schief still plays really well and has earned the A. I don't really consider him a Vet because it still feels like yesterday that he started his first full season.

But I think the big question is how long does a player have to be on the team to be considered a vet?

But what do you guys think? do you think he's a Veteran now?

If 26 or 27 is a vet, Laine will be in the NHL for 8 or 9 years before he is a vet.

To me, if you have played the majority of your 3 year ELC in the NHL, you are a vet, 4 years at tops....also depends whether you spent much time in the AHL.

Edited by Ducky

On 1/19/2017 at 10:16 AM, Atomic said:

The term is meaningless apart from its technical definition (if a player is not a rookie they are a vet) so I'm not sure what your goal is in determining who is a vet and who isn't.

Not in the sense of useful experience, developed talent, demonstrated maturity, honed leadership, etc.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not in the sense of useful experience, developed talent, demonstrated maturity, honed leadership, etc.

You're never going to be able to define when a player has those qualities by age or number of games played... it's different from player to player.  Might as well ask what age a player becomes a leader.

And by your definition I would almost certainly say that yes, Schiefele is a vet.

Edited by Atomic

Really don't think Scheif would be considered a vet, he just kind of came in to his own last year, he still has some upside, I think i'd consider a vet a guy like Wheeler, Little, Buff, they are what they are and there really is no more upside for them, they are a known commodity, Scheif? He still has some room to grow i think. Vet? Hard to say, depends what you mean by Vet, but.. IMO a veteran player is what he is and there is very little to no more upside to that player, Is that Scheif? I don't think so. 

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You're never going to be able to define when a player has those qualities by age or number of games played... it's different from player to player.  Might as well ask what age a player becomes a leader.

And by your definition I would almost certainly say that yes, Schiefele is a vet.

You're right, it will vary from player to player.

But if you look at things longitudinal, controlling for certain variables (e.g., age and number of games played), you'll see trends that would help one determine the characteristics of what a veteran means. Not perfect, but something to help us understand the differences between a rookie and a vet.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

You're right, it will vary from player to player.

But if you look at things longitudinal, controlling for certain variables (e.g., age and number of games played), you'll see trends that would help one determine the characteristics of what a veteran means. Not perfect, but something to help us understand the differences between a rookie and a vet.

That's a little too hand-wavey for me.  I expect a fully collated report on my desk by next Tuesday