Dieter Brock

bb.king

Who is 61, the left tackle in the 1980 video? Walby? Whoever it is, he's massive compared with everyone else!!

The LT was Bobby Thompson.The Bombers like all other teams back then had 3 American starters on the offensive line. The only Canadians starting were Center John Bonk & Left Guard Nick Bastaja. The Americans were LT Thompson, RT Butch Norman & RG Larry Butler. It didn't take half a decade to develop an OL like it does now because teams today insist on playing a minimum of 4 Canadians on the line.

This is just my opinion but I also believe the reason why so many players get injured playing today's game as compared to back in 1980 is because of all the padding the players wore back then. They didn't wear undersized shoulder pads & little or no pads below the waist. Players dressed to be protected & not to be stylish or cool like players today. Wearing more protective padding & bigger shoulder pads didn't eliminate all injuries back then but I believe that soft tissue injuries as well as shoulder & hip injuries were reduced greatly at that time

Who is 61, the left tackle in the 1980 video? Walby? Whoever it is, he's massive compared with everyone else!!

The LT was Bobby Thompson.The Bombers like all other teams back then had 3 American starters on the offensive line. The only Canadians starting were Center John Bonk & Left Guard Nick Bastaja. The Americans were LT Thompson, RT Butch Norman & RG Larry Butler. It didn't take half a decade to develop an OL like it does now because teams today insist on playing a minimum of 4 Canadians on the line.

This is just my opinion but I also believe the reason why so many players get injured playing today's game as compared to back in 1980 is because of all the padding the players wore back then. They didn't wear undersized shoulder pads & little or no pads below the waist. Players dressed to be protected & not to be stylish or cool like players today. Wearing more protective padding & bigger shoulder pads didn't eliminate all injuries back then but I believe that soft tissue injuries as well as shoulder & hip injuries were reduced greatly at that time

Agreed Iso - and yes that was  mammoth Oline - Butch Norman was brought in to be Dieter Brock's personal protector. Bobby Thompson eventually got busted for selling pot (later on in his career) and he never really bounced back. 

Walby replaced Thompson IIRC.

Spoken like a true fan. Of course, if it was Dr. Death hitting Dieter Brock on the play - you would've had the same attitude hmmmm  :rolleyes:

It wasn't a BS call - Helton hit him well after the ball was thrown - I was so pissed at Helton as he gave the ref no choice but to throw the flag. Just because it affected us doesn't mean it's the wrong call. You should hear me at Eskimo games when the 'smos line up offside on the goal line and the fans around me boo. I give them the same lecture - dont' boo the officials - it's an easy call to make as the 'hand' is 'beyond' the goalline as the ball is snapped - easy call. Just like 'pushing' a QB 2 seconds after he throws the ball - easy call