2014 CIS Football

Rids

Thought I'd start a new thread on this and folks can put everything in one place. 

CIS season kicked off on Labour Day with 5 OUA games. 

At Ridley Scouting we're putting out our own Player of the Week awards - http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/9/2_CIS_Players_of_Week_1.html

Also the first Top Ten came out:

1. Laval (-)

2. Calgary (-)

3. Western (-)

4. Montreal (-)

5. McMaster (-)

6. Manitoba (-)

7. UBC (-)

8. Guelph (-)

9. Queen’s (-)*

10. Saskatchewan (-)

To me it looks like the split in OUA votes gifted CanWest a 4th school into the Top Ten. I don't see UBC sitting that high for long and putting Queen's in ahead of Laurier seems a little out of place. But hey that's what polls are for! Controversy and water cooler talk....if only people paid enough attention to CIS to create some controversy or water cooler talk. 

Don't forget the Bisons game on Shaw on Friday vs. Sask. Huskies.

Ad on the radio today said season tix start at $25.  That's crazy cheap.

The Bison seasons? Holy crap, that's insane.

For me and Dad, it was $120 combined for the Huskies.

That might just be the student rate.  I have not investigated.

A single game ticket at Bison stadium cost $8.  A single game ticket for IGF cost $20 last year.  They may have brought that down a bit this year, a 2-1/2x increase is always a tough sell, even if it still is relatively cheap.  But if it's still $20 for a single, many people will pay the extra and get the season ticket.  Considering I would typically never go to more than one game a year, it becomes found money for them, and since almost all costs are sunk, it's a gamble that probably increases revenue for them rather than decreases it.

Took this and looked at the entire CIS for ticket prices. As you can imagine it was Laval with the highest prices where their top package is $261 + taxes. 

The Huskies are the most expensive in CanWest. 3 OUA schools use an email capture program from universityticket.com but beyond them it is the Ottawa Gee Gees as the priciest ticket in Ontario. Down in the Maritimes it's Saint Mary's as the most expensive at $40 but you have to purchase each game separate as their only season ticket package is for every varsity team on campus (still cheaper than Laval). 

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/9/3_CIS_Season_Tickets.html

• 4 weeks later...

Laval season tickets include the pre-season game they host as well as the two playoff games. They more or less expect to be in the Q championship game. 

So since this thread got quiet there's a lot going on. 

Queen's forfeited a game because of an ineligible player.

Calgary forfeited a game because of 2 ineligible players. 

McGill had a player arrested for domestic assault.

McGill's head coach has now resigned but maybe not for the reason you're thinking.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/McGill+football+coach+Clint+Uttley+resigns/10248570/story.html

• 2 weeks later...
McGill's head coach has now resigned but maybe not for the reason you're thinking.

" How can someone aspire to rehabilitation when the leading institutions of Quebec and Canada shun those who have made an error in judgment?"

Very interesting story. Find room on the bombers for that coach. That takes a lot of courage on his part.

I would definitely watch cis football if I got the broadcast, the broadcast team does a fantastic job, (got to watch one game recently) at least as good as the CFL, probably better, they had Jesse Lumsden doing colour. I really enjoyed the whole thing, and wish I got the games.

thanks, I wish I knew more about Canadian college football… saw some playoff games the last few years, and really enjoyed them.