The Ultimate Warrior, Dead at 54

To be clear buff wasn't carrying. It was one of those situations where any dollar bill has some coke residue on it. Or so the story goes.

Buff was on ten brink of major major stardom. Had the look. Was over. And could work. When he broke his neck he was poised to return as a massive star but wcw always tried to out smart everyone and turned him heel.

In wwe he had the misfortune of being in that awful first "wcw" match that the wwe audience crapped all over. Wwe was high on Booker T so it was buff that took the heat. He also had a physical altercation with hurricane around that time and got released. Wwe really dropped the ball on their purchase of wcw. And buff was one of the casualties. Should have been a huge star.

I look at the talent on the WWE roster now & I don't watch as often as I used to. The Diva Division is a joke. Guys like Santino Marella & that little midget are cartoon characters as soon as they come on I flip the channel. They've buried some guys like Dolph Ziggler. They're starting to mid card guys like Sheamus & Bad News Barrett. Alexander Rusev is a useless slug who doesn't deserve to  be in a WWE ring. Seventeen years & they still haven't figured out what to do with Kane. They bring back Brock Lesnar part time & he doesn't wrestle on Raw or Smackdown. CM Punk quit out of frustration. To me, the WWE is a mess. I definetly don't watch it as much anymore. More into UFC & MMA. That heavyweight fight on Saturday night Travis Browne vs Fabricio Werdum was awesome. And it's real.

WWE suffers from part-time itis - - - guys like Taker, Kane, Lesnar, Rock, etc. are too infirm or booked to Hollywood b-movies to be roster useful more than 2 or 3 weeks a year. 

Even the owner's son-in-law has to be used sparingly as a heel GM and a microphone-holder. WWE is panicking a bit cuz they can't get traditional face reactions for their superstar boy, John Cena. Even a mega-heel like Bray Wyatt is soaking up all Cena's heat. WWE doesn't know what to do other than tell Cena to look sheepish on TV.

WWE is desperately trying to turn The Shield face. They don't have any natural opponents so the idea is to put the entire roster around them and have HHH and his old evolution gang render selective beatdowns. They're making HHH look mega-weak but with a strong mic.

To be fair, if you've given up on WWE in the past few months, give them a try again.  Its not perfect, but it's been vastly improved.

Daniel Bryan is quite literally the freshest star they've had since Steve Austin.  And even at that, they've screwed him up a few times.  Originally they had him pencilled in at WrestleMania to face Shaemus.  Only the reactions of the fans got that switched.  Only last night did they *finally* link him with his real-life wife Brie Bella which should have happened ages ago.

HHH is good in his current role and shouldnt be a full time guy nor does he want to be since his corporate responsibilities are more important at this stage. 

The thing about Kane is, he's incredibly open to anything and has been given more crap then anyone over the years and yet always seems to do great work with the garbage he's given.  He's just a great personality.  His recent "Corporate Kane" gimmick is basically a rib on him as he's actually a very well-spoken, politically active libertarian.  His program with Bryan is a decent first "big victory" for Bryan and they have good chemistry together.  I'd wager the long term direction is Brock vs Bryan which should be tremendous.

The issue with Brock isn't that he's partime, its what they do with him when he's there.  Because he has Paul Heyman (which was never intended when they signed Brock but Paul is so amazing that they realised they needed him).  Brock coming in with an aura of legitimacy and immediately losing to Cena was bad.  Then he lost to HHH.  Then he's spooked by Undertaker.  Hes a legit badass who should be killing guys and I think him beating Taker and Heyman's efforts have redeemed him to a degree.  From here its simple - have him beat Bryan for the title at SummerSlam, kill everyone in his path before losing the title back to Bryan at WM next year.

The Diva's are vastly more talented than in the past but dont get the push or the angles they need to get over.  Thats very glaring when they debut a new girl like Paige (who is a very good worker at 21 years old), she gets a great reaction and now with AJ taking time off, they have no heel girls who are over for her to work.  AJ was a revelation as a Diva (good work, good mic skills, good charisma, fresh look).  Alicia Fox was a good first defense for Paige because Fox can work and work the crowd but with zero push she isnt over.

Ziggler is the perfect example of a guy who has all the talent in the world, fans love him, he's a good company guy but someone somewhere doesnt like him.  The root of his issue seems to be an interview he gave where he said if he and Orton went into a dark alley to fight in a real fight, he (Ziggler) would be the only one who came out.  Pretty stupid thing to gut a guy over.

There is reason for optimism with HHH in charge despite his past as a nortorious bull cutter.

I have no problem with HHH being in charge of 95% of the programming (Vince still holds the thumb)

Heyman is so monsterous on the mike he can wake the dead. Its good Lesnar doesn't work a regular schedule cuz fans would lose interest in his rather droll personality if they allowed him to speak regularly.

I agree Bryan vs. Brock is the natural step up the next couple years.

And yeah, that Paige is a wonderful diva for 21 yrs old, just they probably brought her up a year early and her stick skills are still average.

With all the divas taking pregnancy leave or just taking time off its time they brought back Giant Karma (Awesome Kong) and perhaps one of the greatest divas of all time, Angelina Love. Too bad they never succeeded in building Alicia Fox - that gal had Beyonce looks and was an above average worker but someone didn't like her. Only problem is despite her natural beauty and grace Angelina can look a bit tough - and Vince likes his divas looking soft. They lost their best heel diva Maryse (slightly better looking than even Angelina) cuz she just didn't want to abuse her body with 1000s of bumps a month. Angelina & Maryse would have been epic as crazy-girl heels, no?

Maryse had a lot of natural charisma.  WWE seems to take the position that they can teach anyone to work and that its their efforts that make them stars.  But its not always true.  I agree about Fox.  Tremendous worker.  Could easily be the top female heel.  But I suspect they look at her as an "older" Diva who isnt dating a top star so she's not getting that spot.

Mickey James is another woman they could bring back tomorrow and she'd be gold.  But she's "old".  I wouldnt bring back Kong.  Too many issues there.  I also think Paige served herself no purpose by staying in NXT any longer.  She was their best worker.  Where they are failing her is in not having a heel for her to work, though AJ returning would rectify that.  Summer Rae has potential too.  Maria would be great also and had tremendous charisma and smarts but dont cross the Bella's...

Won't have to worry about Angelina Love going into WWE. She recently was re-admitted to TNA rasslin' - re-uniting with her old Beautiful People partner Velvet Sky. btw their re-unite segments are on youtube and are amongst the best promos ever cut by women in the sport. They also tried to re-unite with Madison Rayne but Madison rejected them and thus became their #1 target for destruction. No female in the business has ever been able to tell an in-ring story anywhere close to Angel Williams (aka Angelina Love)

Trish Stratus and Lita are the closest. A couple of the Asian girls were also pretty darn good at it.

I think McMahon looks at her and reasons that she's 32 yrs old, doesn't have that pudgy/soft look he likes (ie. Kelly Kelly) and that he doesn't want to put a 32 yr old over on his current crop of mid to late 20s barbie divas.  And I don't think Angel wants to go to WWE and put everyone but the kitchen sink over.

TNA isn't exactly super-viable but they have a bit more money now that they don't have to pay Hulk Hogan to limp into the ring. (WWE has that privilege now). But for Angelina Love it sure beats traveling to house shows all over North America (gyms, chuches, small halls) and letting the local Queenie kick her arse and go over on her. (of course thats the reason you pay a former champ who's now an indy worker to come to your territory; you want your local top gal worker to get some rub-over)

I seem to recall Angel being in WWE developmental but I could be wrong.  I used to talk to her when she was working Canadian indys back in the day, trying to book her but it just never worked out.  We were lucky enough to have Sarah Stock work for us several times though she worked men because of the lack of women workers in Winnipeg at the time.  I always hoped to book Sarah vs Gail Kim and would still consider it.  Sarah would have done very well in WWE but im sure their development offers are far less than she makes in Mexico.

I actually had a falling out with TNA (I had booked several TNA guys) and their then-third-party booking agent Bill Behrens.  He was a real piece of work.  My falling out culminated in a blog I wrote entitled "Samoa Joe Can Go F**K Himself" which got wide coverage around North America (which wasnt my intent).  I received a lot of emails that were split 50-50 between "good for you" and "please kill yourself".  lol

TNA is as good as dead.  If they lose their Spike TV deal its all over.  Its beyond the time that a re-upping should be announced if both sides are happy and theres a belief that Spike might make WWE an offer (though I cant imagine they would leave USA).  Jeff Jarrett is also friendly with Spike officials but im not sure Spike would go with an upstart over TNA if those were the choices.  Plus, nothing about JJ's new promotion sounds remotely promising aside from the rumour of Toby Keith's involvement (he tried to buy TNA but the deal fell apart when Panda, TNA's parent, insisted Dixie Carter be kept on).

Angel was indeed a WWE developmental worker but McMahon obviously didn't see enough - whether she looked a bit too hard for a beauty queen or possibly that 20" waist?

TNA is teetering on the totter to be sure and sorry you got stiffed by their booking agent UP but I suspect nowadays performers like Angel do their own booking. Williams would go over huge in Wpg and I'm sure she's still doing select indy work to beef up her earnings. 

First time I saw Sarah Stock - what a revelation. One of the best workers around. I'd put her close to Angelina and Trish Stratus for telling a story. Perhaps close to Maryse Oullette.

Paul Hey man should go back on spike lol

There are many examples of the beginning of the end for TNA but the most glaring might be not hiring Paul Heyman when they had the chance a couple of years ago.

he is easily the best performer in the business right now.  One certainly wonders if Brock would have gone to TNA with Paul in charge (with Spike owning their own MMA company and throwing money at former UFC guys, it would not be a stretch to predict the network would have gladly covered the costs for him).  Heyman wanted to cut all the "legends" except for one or two special attractions and go with a youth movment.  TNA disagreed and yet here we are a couple of years later and all the legends are gone and they are pushing (poorly) their "young" guys while Paul Heyman almost singlehandedly makes RAW amazing every week.

Angel was indeed a WWE developmental worker but McMahon obviously didn't see enough - whether she looked a bit too hard for a beauty queen or possibly that 20" waist?

TNA is teetering on the totter to be sure and sorry you got stiffed by their booking agent UP but I suspect nowadays performers like Angel do their own booking. Williams would go over huge in Wpg and I'm sure she's still doing select indy work to beef up her earnings. 

First time I saw Sarah Stock - what a revelation. One of the best workers around. I'd put her close to Angelina and Trish Stratus for telling a story. Perhaps close to Maryse Oullette.

The twist was I stiffed the booking agent ;-)

Sarah worked for us many times and then sporadically when she was in town.  I remember he calling me and asking if I minded if she worked our show that week so she could get some recent footage for resume tapes.  She worked Chi Chi Cruz who she was dating at the time (most local fans will know the name).  Cheech was a great worker but they clashed.  She asked if she could do another match and have me pick the opponent so I put her in with Robby Royce (a great worker) and they had a hell of a match.

There are many examples of the beginning of the end for TNA but the most glaring might be not hiring Paul Heyman when they had the chance a couple of years ago.

he is easily the best performer in the business right now.  One certainly wonders if Brock would have gone to TNA with Paul in charge (with Spike owning their own MMA company and throwing money at former UFC guys, it would not be a stretch to predict the network would have gladly covered the costs for him).  Heyman wanted to cut all the "legends" except for one or two special attractions and go with a youth movment.  TNA disagreed and yet here we are a couple of years later and all the legends are gone and they are pushing (poorly) their "young" guys while Paul Heyman almost singlehandedly makes RAW amazing every week.

Paul Heyman is the best. Simply the best. When Vince was getting a high from humiliating his workers that was pretty epic, too. But Paul just has such a knack for inter-weaving the truth with the typical wrestling lies. I'm sure McMahon would love to televise Heyman's execution and squash him like a bug but the guy is money and one thing about Vince. Its all about the money!

I think the only minor weakness in Paul's toolkit is he really can't take bumps anymore. Also, can't believe the guy is still in his 40s. Presents as such an old treacherous guy. 

If I had to rate the current WWE workers (including guys on the shelf):

1. Paul H.

2. Daniel Bryan

3. Bray Wyatt (freshest wrestling act since Stone Cold but totally different)

4. Phil Brooks (CM Punk)

5. Dolf Ziggler (even though they're trying to bury him)

6. Corporate Kane, Bautista,Triple H still pretty darn good for guys 40 to 50 yrs old. Trips can only do a select few physical matches a year but nobody does 'Reach and Withdraw' like HHH.

Paul is a genisu.  The fact he begins every promo with "My name is Paul Heyman" is so incredibly smart.  He's made the "Paul Heyman" brand so valuable.  Think about this, Brock was brought back without Paul.  They brought Paul in to cut one promo for Brock, decided to have him do a few, decided to keep around for Brock programs, put him with Punk to get Punk over as a heel and now he's a full time character helping to get Cesaro over.  Just incredible.

Paul had the right idea when he was in creative last.  He was head of Smackdown creative during the so-called brand extension and treated RAW and SD like competitors which is how it should have been.  SD out drew RAW and put on incredible shows.  I think, if I recall, Vince likes Paul but Steph doesnt.  Paul hacked into a RAW creative conference call to hear their "secrets" so he could counter-program them on SD.  Just an evil genius.  lol

Has Paul written a book yet?

I think the only mountain left for Paul to climb is to do a massive face turn. But the "Paul Heyman" brand is so imbedded in HEEL-ism it would be a massive challenge to write it thru. 

Basically, he'd have to use his stable to 'kill' some other massive heels and do it with other guys who are just in the process of turning - aka The Shield.....

Shield guys have also done extremely well but they're caught between heel and face right now and the only thing HHH could do was re-establish his old group to try to fake-bury them.

He wrote Brock's book.

He could easily be a face.  He's a face to half the audience already.

UP - isn't the biggest booking dilemna in WWE 'How to book John Cena?'..... man I've never seen a company struggle to see how they book their top guy. He gets legit heel heat for just showing up and whenever he's booked against a heel-monster the monster gets all Cena's face heat and John is left holding the bag, trying to explain it away!

The best thing Cena does is acknowledge the problem and just keep repeating his stock stuff. John's problem was when he first showed up on WWE TV as a fake-rapper, a la a cheap Eminem.... it stuck to him forever. John doesn't have  a ton of nifty wrestling moves, most of his endings are like a Ric Flair textbook but he does get props from lots of people when they have him hoist up monsters like Show, Ryback, Mark Henry, etc. (all guys 325 to 450 lbs.) like sacks of potatos. Now they've got Heyman's newest protege doing the same!

There is a big risk in turning John Cena heel in that the segment of the audience that is heeling on him might be the "smarky" crowd who will then cheer him when he's a heel and the kids who love him will be alienated.  Cena is the top merch seller by a wide margin , outselling the #2 seller by 5 times.  Though the #2 seller is currently Daniel Bryan who, up until very recently, had terrible merch.

The could just do what they are doing, having him feud in the uppermid card but away from the top spots.  He's 37 years old.  But this year might represent the best opportunity to turn him with Bryan being so over.  If Bryan's popularity sustains, then I think turning Cena is worth the risk.  They have the added opportunity of the Bella's involved too (though they've done an awful job of linking Brie with Bryan).

One of Cena's problems is, by all accounts his niceness is sincere and yet he always comes across like a pandering fool.

UP - isn't Bryan/Lesnar the natural headliner at next year's Wrestlemania?

Wonder if they'll trot out Undertaker for one last paycheque in a soft trot match?

If they did trot out Taker I'd like to see Bray Wyatt go over on him - nobody deserves that award more than Wyatt!

Obviously HHH and his acolytes might be still viable next year so Shield vs. HHH group could go again!

WWE are super lucky JBL decided to do commentary - the guy is superb! Came along at the right time as Cole & Lawler were really starting to get stale!

I could take or leave jbl on commentary. Not just him, the whole new school way of announcing is awful. They bury the product too much.

Right Brock/Bryan seems to be the money match in my mind. It will depend on Bryan staying over and wwe not screwing up his push. If I'm wwe I have Brock murder everyone including hhh and cena since he should never have lost to them in the first place. Then have Brock win the title no later than royal rumble (and really should be summer slam or survivor series so Bryan can win the rumble). Bryan ends up as the underdog that has to stop the beast and save the wwe.

If they can make a deal with punk if bring him back as a heel too, link him with AJ since they are now engaged and have them programmed with Bryan and Brie in the interim until Brock is ready. In fact punk losing the Bryan feud but "costing" him the title (getting punk linked back with Heyman) works for me. Cesaro would be good too but I think they should just let him be a face right now.

No Heyman won't go back at this point unless they poured a bag of cash at him - I'm talking millions. That won't happen. 

Heyman had a huge brave streak back in the 90s when he formed ECW and it was the leading edge wrestling promotion in the world - until he started running out of money.

I'm sure Vince has him locked up for a couple years at least.