Happy Birthday Blue!

BlueBall

The Winnipeg Football Club... WFC.

i actually like that name better than the Joe Louis "Bomber" thing. if nothing else, it matches the logos better. and they could still be referred to as the "Blues" or "The Blue". But having been "Bombers" as long as they have, "Bombers" they shall remain.

Do you have a link? If so, be interesting to read it. 

The best link is to a thread that Stats Junkie started on The Extra Point:

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=32881.0

(He says the official date is wrong, BTW.)

That thread also contains a long quote from Vince Leah's book A History of the Blue Bombers on how he came up with the name.

The best link is to a thread that Stats Junkie started on The Extra Point:

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=32881.0

(He says the official date is wrong, BTW.)

That thread also contains a long quote from Vince Leah's book A History of the Blue Bombers on how he came up with the name.

Thanks for the link, I think I came across this while trying to hunt down some facts.  Surprisingly little info on Bombers history online.  From what I could gather, the Manitoba Rugby Football Union (the main football league in Manitoba that predated the CFL) granted a franchise to the Winnipeg Rugby Football Club on May 14, 1930, but it wasn't until almost a month later (June 10th) that the team's board of directors was formed and began operating under the name Winnipeg Football Club and playing as the Winnipegs or 'Pegs (team would be called Winnipeg Blue Bombers 5 years later).  Is this the date the team was actually formed?  This seems to be what the Bombers claim as it's shown on both their official website and Facebook page.  Guess it"s a case of when was the team born vs. when was it conceived.  Anyway, pretty interesting history but somewhat vague.