Coach Tampering

Fatty Liver

obtained @cfl document released by @Commish13 now in effect in regard to coaching tampering. Sent out this week

key element in new @cfl policy regarding of hiring coaches under contract to a new club, compensation must be agreed upon prior to hiring

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Twenty five thousand dollar penalty & loss of a supplemental draft pick for the first offense & then fines as well as suspensions with lengths up to the Commissioner on the second offense, is that how it is now set up if I understand it correctly? Would that have been enough to stop the Riders from pursuing Chris Jones or the Esks Jason Maas? I could see one result of this new rule being more new talent coming into the league from the NCAA or CIS. Less of an Old Boys Club with coaches recycling from team to team.

43 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Twenty five thousand dollar penalty & loss of a supplemental draft pick for the first offense & then fines as well as suspensions with lengths up to the Commissioner on the second offense, is that how it is now set up if I understand it correctly? Would that have been enough to stop the Riders from pursuing Chris Jones or the Esks Jason Maas? I could see one result of this new rule being more new talent coming into the league from the NCAA or CIS. Less of an Old Boys Club with coaches recycling from team to team.

Not a supplemental draft pick. This is from Lawless' article at TSN.ca:

PENALTIES
Should the commissioner determine this protocol has been breached or tampering has occurred, the penalties will be as follows:
(a) First offence - fine of up to $25,000.00 and the loss of the club’s first-round draft choice in the subsequent draft, or the following draft when the club has a first-round draft choice to lose.
(b) Second offence – suspension of an individual for a specific or indefinite period or for life, at the Commissioner’s discretion.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-drafts-new-anti-tampering-policy-1.427315?platform=hootsuite

I saw the  Lawless link here but the second page was so small I had to enlarge it to 200% & then it still wasn't clear. Thanks for clarifying Jacquie & TLB. Yeah, those penalties will make teams think twice about hiring buddies away from other teams while the assts are still under contract. Not many position coaches are worth losing a first round draft pick for. Especially if it's 1-3 pick. The $5,000 fine the Argos paid to get Jones from Calgary a few years ago was a total joke. Now, it's a serious offense that could cripple a team.

Edited by iso_55

1 hour ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

I don't understand "second offence".  It seems to mean an individual but does that apply across all the teams they've been with?  Is the slate wiped clean for a team if that individual leaves it's employ?

By reading the article, it says suspension of an individual.  It may need more clarity but I think  That would be towards the person who is tampering. Ie the GM.

It's not always the GM.  Coaches hire the assistants usually.  So a team could in theory tamper twice in a year but by two separate individuals.  Does that make it a second offence or two first offences?  Just saying I'm not sure who they are trying to punish here, the football club or the individual. Past first offence it just gets vague.