Question about Steam machines?

tacklewasher

Thought maybe someone here might know.

I'm thinking of either getting a Steam machine or getting Steam link. Basically, I picked up KOTOR I & II on Steam and have been playing them on my PC, but I'd rather play on my TV. Can't play them on my xBox as it died, and they don't play worth crap on my 360. They play fine on the PC, which is why I'm thinking the Steam Link might be a good choice.

Anyone try anything like this?

I haven't tried Steam link myself, but I have heard nothing but positive reviews. If older/less demanding games are all you're interested in at this time AND your PC plays them smoothly already AND you have a reliable network in your home, then I would for sure go for the cost effective Steam link. Many games on Steam have full controller support already (KOTOR included) so you just need a USB attachment to use your current 360 controllers if you aren't doing so already. Don't need to buy a Steam controller, but they are spiffy.

I personally just go HDMI out from my PC to my big screen when I want to play from the couch, but I know that's not always an option for everyone.

I made a computer for about $200 that runs Kodi and Steam under Linux. I stream from my good pc and it runs games perfect to my TV. It also runs most emulator smoothly.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and use a Xbox 360 controller for the games.

I tried using SteamOS and it was garbage.

I have not used steam link, having a pc makes it much more flexible and much more customization.