Northern 8

MTA

Hey MBB Board

As a former CIS football player I would love to see the CIS grow more. I don’t know if you guys were aware Jim Mullin made a proposal called the Northern 8, he also has cash backer from Saskatoon by the name of David Dube. It would be a national interlock series that would be blended into the regular season and have a game of the week on TV.  Dube is prepared to foot the bill for all TV production costs as well. It seemed all parties were on board until the OUA shot it down a few weeks ago. The OUA board is very old school and has limited rosters to 90 guys and just ruled that teams can only have 2 different helmets per season when Guleph wanted to have 6 this year

He is the Link to the Northern 8 Series Proposal, very good read and a great job done by Jim Mullin

http://huskieoutsider.com/2015/02/national-interlock-proposal/

Finally if you guys could help by signing the petition it would greatly help. This idea would grow amateur football leaps and bounds in this country.

https://www.change.org/p/cis-football-schools-engage-in-discussions-to-start-the-northern8-football-series

Thanks

The OUA has a major issue with High end teams and the 3 low end teams they have York, Waterloo and TO. They are trying to bring the high end teams down so those low school can compete.  Example the 90 man cap roster. The OUA main reason was travel cost but those top teams that would be in the Northern 8 have no issue with that. Example more that one school got a football program donation of over 500 thousand dollar this year

Why don't the schools who want to play teams in other conferences schedule games with teams from other conferences?  Personally I don't believe that having the games count in the conference standings makes a lick of difference in terms of fan interest.  It's about bragging rights and the top teams sizing each other up for the Vanier.

I don't understand why they are trying to go through the conferences and CIS.

Sounds interesting. Other than being "very old school"  what was the reason that OUA voted against it?

OUA is afraid of travel. No schools travel as much as Manitoba and UBC being at the far ends of the largest geographical conference in the country (it really should be split into two conferences quite honestly). I think the OUA is worried about other sports looking to do the same thing. A national basketball schedule would threaten their domination thanks to the Ottawa schools. 

Why don't the schools who want to play teams in other conferences schedule games with teams from other conferences?  Personally I don't believe that having the games count in the conference standings makes a lick of difference in terms of fan interest.  It's about bragging rights and the top teams sizing each other up for the Vanier.

They need to go through the conferences to justify the existence of the "Northern 8". Many of these schools already travel across the country for exhibition games so the CIS could simply say why not just continue to do that since it's been happening for a decade. For this to work these games need to count for something. 

It may work better to aim for broadcasting the conference championship games this year (out of spite maybe snub the OUA...) and revisit the Northern 8 idea in December. That way they'd have games that matter, trophies on the line and a berth in the Bowl games the following week.

Sounds interesting. Other than being "very old school"  what was the reason that OUA voted against it?

OUA is afraid of travel. No schools travel as much as Manitoba and UBC being at the far ends of the largest geographical conference in the country (it really should be split into two conferences quite honestly). I think the OUA is worried about other sports looking to do the same thing. A national basketball schedule would threaten their domination thanks to the Ottawa schools. 

They need to go through the conferences to justify the existence of the "Northern 8". Many of these schools already travel across the country for exhibition games so the CIS could simply say why not just continue to do that since it's been happening for a decade. For this to work these games need to count for something. 

It may work better to aim for broadcasting the conference championship games this year (out of spite maybe snub the OUA...) and revisit the Northern 8 idea in December. That way they'd have games that matter, trophies on the line and a berth in the Bowl games the following week.

Counting as a game in the conference standings is nearly meaningless, especially to teams that are 1-2 loss teams.  It counts more for ranking and sorting conferences and the Top 10, basically an exhibition game.  If they want to make it count, scrap the conference playoffs and have a national 8 team playoff with each conference guaranteed one representative.

The puropse of this is to get more Tv games with the best teams and grow the game. No one like seeing Westeren pump York by 60. Talked to alot of current CIS players who want this but dont want conference playoffs scraped. Winning your conference still means a ton

The puropse of this is to get more Tv games with the best teams and grow the game. No one like seeing Westeren pump York by 60. Talked to alot of current CIS players who want this but dont want conference playoffs scraped. Winning your conference still means a ton

There's a lot of clay here that can be turned into something great (if the powers that be would let it happen).