kgb / 1980 miracle on ice?

Mark F

I knew the kGB was evil, but this is far worse than anything I imagined.

"Finally, the mystery is solved. How could the Soviet Union lose to the overmatched USA team in the Miracle on Ice? And why did Viktor Tikhonov pull the great Vladislav Tretiak?

Former Detroit Red Wings defenseman Slava Fetisov blames the KGB.Fetisov — in the new documentary "Red Army," which is the subject of a feature in this week's Sports Illustrated — says then-CCCP coach Tikhonov was beholden to the KGB and favored Moscow Dynamo players such as goalie Vladimir Myshkin over Red Army players.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/01/21/miracle-on-ice-fetisov-kgb/22110995/

Remember watching that game very well. The Americans were outplaying the Soviets as I recall & Tikhonov made the goaltending change. Yeah, people were shocked. If that's why Tikhonov did what he did it only means keeping the Red Army players in the game would have been worse for him even had they won. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have that game on VHS and have watched it many times, and also have the crappy 1981 movie with Steve Guttenberg and Karl Malden, as well as the much better Disney movie "Miracle" with Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks. It was too bad Herb died before he could see it. That 1980 US Olympic team was something special.