East Division Playoff Positioning

Mr Dee

There will be a playoff crossover this year.

One team from the West (BC or Sask) (my money's on Sask) will supplant an Eastern team in the East playoffs this year.

The only question is who?

Montreal is safe, they have a spot.

Ottawa doesn't have to worry about it, they're out.

Either Hamilton or Toronto will play on, and who gets in determines the finish in the East.

It's simple.

Toronto must win or they're out.

Hamilton’s playoff scenario is this: if they beat Montreal by eight points or more they clinch first place; if they win by less than eight points or Toronto loses they earn second place; and if they lose and Toronto wins, they are eliminated from the playoffs.

See? Simple.

Toronto hosts Ottawa Friday, and but haven't beaten them yet. (OK, they've just played 1 game.)
Hamilton hosts Montreal and will know by then what they have to do.
THF is sold out and tickets are hot.

Toronto will not have R Ray @ QB. (concussion) Trevor Harris will start.
Montreal likely will not have Geoff Tisdale (concussion)
Hamilton might not have Fantuz, but, with the importance of the game, he'll probably play.(hamstring)
Hamilton will play both Grigsby and Delone Carter at RB as Madu is slightly injured.

*Montreal has been hot lately and not coincidently, has won the turnover battle in the last 9 games.
Their record in that time 8-1.

A win on Saturday at Tim Horton's Field would give Montreal as many road wins as the rest of its division COMBINED.

Though the offence is still only eighth in the country in first half scoring, the defence trails only Calgary and Edmonton in first half points against.

After Halftime adjustments are made, third Quarter points against (54) are the lowest of ANY CFL team in ANY quarter.

Montreal's defence has given up only 30 big plays all year, the lowest total in the nation.

The Als are now running the ball on first down more than any other East team, closer to the Prairie plowing of Saskatchewan than they are to the CFL average.

*CFL News

Montreal's last 9 games:  8-1                                          Hamilton's last 9 games: 6-3

Tor.  17-14                                                                      Ott. 34-25

Ott. 23-17                                                                        lost Tor. 26-24 

Tor 20-12                                                                        Ott. 16-6

Sask 40 −9  (no DD)                                                        lost Tor.34-33

Ott 15-7                                                                           BC19-17

Cal 31−15 (no BLM no Cornish)                                      Wpg. 16-11

lost to Edm 33-16                                                            Edm. 25-23

Ham 38-31                                                                      Sask. 28-3 (no DD)

Ott 20-10                                                                         lost Mont. 38-31

Place your bids ladies and gentlemen, the look on Austin's face will be worth the price of admission alone.

It's a case of Collaros vs. that savage Montreal defence and Crompton against a very good Hamilton defence.

Hamilton…in a close one.

This is actually very interesting... it's extremely rare that a team could finish anywhere from first in the division to completely out of the playoffs... should make for some fun watching

As for the west... Fake Mark Cohon said it best in a tweet earlier in the week... 2 teams trying to lose vs 2 teams in playoff spots likely resting some starters...  

Also, I think Sask beats Edm.... Edm has their #2 spot locked in and they know there's a chance they play Sask again next week... so I think they come out with a very vanilla game plan... something to keep the guys in rhythm, but not enough to show if they have any tricks up their sleeves...  

Also, I think Sask beats Edm.... Edm has their #2 spot locked in and they know there's a chance they play Sask again next week... so I think they come out with a very vanilla game plan... something to keep the guys in rhythm, but not enough to show if they have any tricks up their sleeves...  

It will be a battle of backups at QB for both Sask. and Edmonton.

There is concern that Reilly has a problem with his foot. Either a broken bone or something with his ankle.

I don't believe he will even dress tonight.

Neither will John White.

I also don't believe that there is any way a small thing like a broken bone/ankle will keep Reilly out of the lineup…in the semi-final.

I'll stick with my prediction of a final record of 9-9 for Sask. as matt Nichols and Edmonton's D will still 'bring it'.

Sask.'s losing streak can hit 6 tomorrow, and then 7 with a playoff loss.

Missing a playoff spot stings a little less if this happens.