The D-Line - Looking At The Sack Numbers

TrueBlue

I like looking at stats, and I am glad that these numbers were brought up this week by non other than Paul Wiecek.  Not knowing what the CFL records were, it is interesting to see based on the unsustainable pace this team is on currently.

-18 sacks through 3 games is on pace for 108 sacks this season which would shatter the previous record for sacks by a team of 85 set by the 1986 Stampeders

-They have 42% of the sack total from all of last season, in which we were second in the league to BC.

-Hall has 5 sacks through 3 games this season, which is on pace for 30, which would break the single season record previously set by James Parker of 26.5 back in 1984. Going back to last year, Hall also has 14 sacks in his last 17 games. 

-The Bombers have led the league in sacks 2 of the last 3 years.

It's no secret that our D-line is currently the brightest spot on our team right now.  Being only 3 games into this season, I know that this can change pretty fast, but I'm pretty confident that our d-line will continue to stay dominant.  They have found their groove it seems, and should be the top line in the league hands down this season.

My only wonder is, could these guys break some long established records this year?  They need 4.5 sacks/game to finish with 86 as a team.  Possible?  Probable?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/sack-masters-drive-blue-d-216117741.html

I think Montreal and Hammy both have some Oline issues and the new offense in MTL helped us out a lot. I don't think we can keep this torrid pace up. Maybe teams will put in extra blockers and it'll be easier for the guys in coverage though.

We play in a division full of awful offensive lines and our defensive line is DEEP.

It's totally possible we could go over 50 for the year, 86 is a ridiculous number though. That's 68 in 15 games, which is 4.5 a game.